Discuss Rcd trips after installing rcd in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Dear all,

Really shattered today. It is old house. Fusebox vey old type. I replaced it with a new consumer with rcd. However rcd keeps tripping for all the sockets circuits. Upstairs lights fine. Downstairs generall fine but rcd tripps when I turn on kitchen lights.

I disconnect earth for all socket circuits but nothing changes. Tested all continuity and insulation all looks fine. Pulled out all appliances from sockets but rcd still trips. Really shuttered. Getting late and no time for further check. Will go back in a few days.

Any ideas of whats happening?

Any idea will be highly appreciated.

Regrds

Hey there mister blue
We're so pleased we went with you
Look around see what you do
Everybody smiles at you
De du de de du do....
Mr blue sky.......
(Sorry had a few pints or home brew again, always liked ELO)

Dear all,

Really shattered today. It is old house. Fusebox vey old type. I replaced it with a new consumer with rcd. However rcd keeps tripping for all the sockets circuits. Upstairs lights fine. Downstairs generall fine but rcd tripps when I turn on kitchen lights.

I disconnect earth for all socket circuits but nothing changes. Tested all continuity and insulation all looks fine. Pulled out all appliances from sockets but rcd still trips. Really shuttered. Getting late and no time for further check. Will go back in a few days.

Any ideas of whats happening?

Any idea will be highly appreciated.

Regrds

Things to clarify:

Working on a Sunday?
Going back in a few days - what about the customer?
What testing did you do?
Disconnecting earths - really, do you understand how rcds work?
What do you plan to do next?

Almost certainly you have the neutral cables for the sockets crossed over between the neutral bars.
Check your circuits and ensure that the lives on the MCBs for one RCD have their corresponding neutrals in the neutral bar fed from that RCD.
The kitchen lights may well be a wiring fault at the lights if the other lights on the same circuit do not trip the RCD.
This is simple and basic information that should be clear to anyone changing a consumer unit.

Give the OP a break guys. He might be just having a 'brain fart' day.
I thought you guys tested the circuits before changing the CU's, to give yourself a little 'heads up' on troubles ahead?

Give the OP a break guys. He might be just having a 'brain fart' day.
I thought you guys tested the circuits before changing the CU's, to give yourself a little 'heads up' on troubles ahead?

Disconnecting the earths to find an RCD tripping issue? Hard to reconcile that with a professional approach to fault finding. But OK...we've all had brain farts and got it badly wrong at times. So lets hear more from the OP on where he's going with this.

He did say repeatedly in the Op that he was shattered and so he may not have been thinking clearly at the time of posting and may have been panicking a bit whilst doing the installation and attempting to fault find. If things were going badly anyway this may have been a bit too much. I know I have got to the end of the day and gone "ahhhhhh" as the very last thing goes wrong.
Removal of the earths is a sort of logical but not a sensible approach to finding out if it is a wiring fault to earth rather than a parallel live conductor path fault.
I hope that now he has had a chance to think about it he will be able to come back and let us know the fault and resolution.
It could be the neutral busbar link was still in, but probably not based on the effects seen.
I did wire up a board whilst the customer was talking to me a lot and moved a leg of the ring instead of the spur off the ring over to the other ring and got some good RCD tripping there. This did throw me for a few minutes.

According to his profile he's not been back on since posting ..... unless he's viewing the thread when not logged in.......... then we will never know.

I suspect we've ALL posted in haste and regretted aspects of it later, but this is all very basic stuff ...... so fingers crossed he'll update us soon......

According to his profile he's not been back on since posting ..... unless he's viewing the thread when not logged in.......... then we will never know.

I suspect we've ALL posted in haste and regretted aspects of it later, but this is all very basic stuff ...... so fingers crossed he'll update us soon......
More chance of me giving up beer

Reply to Rcd trips after installing rcd in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net