Discuss rcd in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

mcm

-
Reaction score
if a outbuilding is feed from the rcd side of a board in the house will this cover all wiring in the outbuilding, so alterations needed to the outbuilding board such as rcbo or rcd.

Yes, the RCD at the house CU will also provide additional protection to the garage circuits so no need to install any additional RCD's / RCBO's. Assuming it's a 30mA one of course.

Only problem with this type of set up is that any fault in the garage will also knock out some or all (depending on set up) of the lighting & power in the house.

as lenny says. better to come off non-RCD MCB in house anfit RCD or RCBOs in outbuilding. if lighting in outbuilding is surface, no RCD required on that circuit.

Hold on folks. First consider these questions:

What type of earthing arrangement exists TNCS, TT or PME

How far is the outbuilding from the house? - Does it share the same concrete base as the house? is it across a yard or field ?

Exporting TNCS earths are dangerous and should be TT configured at point of use, in this case this may be the outbuilding.

What type of earthing arrangement exists TNCS, TT or PME....Are they not one and the same....

How far is the outbuilding from the house? - Does it share the same concrete base as the house? is it across a yard or field ?

Exporting TNCS earths are dangerous and should be TT configured at point of use, in this case this may be the outbuilding.

What type of earthing arrangement exists TNCS, TT or PME

Exporting TNCS earths are dangerous and should be TT configured at point of use, in this case this may be the outbuilding. Not always.

dependant on distance from the house in this case, which you still don't know.

If your comfortable running a large run from a tncs supply to an outbuilding and exporting the earth instead of utilising a tt system at the end of the circuit, thats your perogative and risk assessment

Which ever way you dress it up advice has been given with out first confirming the type of earthing arrangement and after that what exactly the building is and how far from the initial installation it is.

If your comfortable running a large run from a tncs supply to an outbuilding and exporting the earth instead of utilising a tt system at the end of the circuit, thats your perogative and risk assessment

Which ever way you dress it up advice has been given with out first confirming the type of earthing arrangement and after that what exactly the building is and how far from the initial installation it is.

Do you know the full set up of the installation?

You yourself were giving advice without knowing the details of the installation.

It is all purely speculative at the moment as none of us know the full details of either the supply, the type of outbuilding, external services entering the outbuilding so i don't think any concrete advice can be given.

Hang on a minute.......all the OP asked was would an RCD at a house CU cover sub-circuits in an outbuilding if the sub-main was fed from it. You're the one who elaborated beyond the initial question for whatever reason.

Hang on a minute.......all the OP asked was would an RCD at a house CU cover sub-circuits in an outbuilding if the sub-main was fed from it. You're the one who elaborated beyond the initial question for whatever reason.

All I am saying is how do you know the installation was installed correctly . Your assuming that what was there is or was correctly installed. It may not be, so simply telling the OP he does'nt need rcd protection as it's in his main board is potentially putting him at risk as the installation may require an rcd and tt arangement at his outbuilding if it had not been initially constructed with one.

Don't be too precious I am entitled to my opinion as you are yours.I was only trying to give a wider view, nothing more.

All I am saying is how do you know the installation was installed correctly . Your assuming that what was there is or was correctly installed. It may not be, so simply telling the OP he does'nt need rcd protection as it's in his main board is potentially putting him at risk as the installation may require an rcd and tt arangement at his outbuilding if it had not been initially constructed with one.

Don't be too precious I am entitled to my opinion as you are yours.I was only trying to give a wider view, nothing more.

How the installation is installed doesn't come into it......I gave an answer to a simple hypothetical question on the principals of RCD operation i.e, all circuits downstream of the device will be protected by it, and now you accuse me of offering dangerous and life threatening information!

Re: RCD ….. Lenny ( Sorry about this Lenny I feel Strongly About this Matter )

( MFHEng ) May I remind you . Your to Quick in Jumping in feet First ?? Amber . Remember Me . Mr jump in . I do Recall you giving a Member of the Forum into Trouble for trying to Help .

This bring me to the Point . I see you Jumping in on Lenny . Sometimes its Hard when you Jump in to Get Out .
Firstly . May I say Lenny has more Brains in his Big Toe . Than most off Us got in Our Head’s . He’s Forgot more than we could ever Remember
& to the Point having a Go at Sintra . The Quiet Man in the Forum .

( MFHEng ) I take you have A degree . ?? Not in Manners . ( PS if your Going to my Friends in Here do stand on Toes )

I Will be Reprimanded for this at the Highest Level . Dan / Jason . I will wait on my Out come Amberleaf

Am Excising my Right on free Speech . ( This is my Opinion Only ) Amber

Sit Back and Learn from the Master . Lenny ( MFHEng ) & stop Transporting

Thank you for Your post Lenny .

I'm going to have to stand with Sintra, Len and Amber on this, all the boys said was that it's not advisable to rcd a garage supply because of nuisance tripping at no
Point did earthing arrangements get mentioned so the points you have made are irrelevant and besides the point. Most of us on here respect and trust Len, sintra and ambers opinions.

What difference does it make what the earthing system is at the outbuilding, that is still the ideal place to have the RCD.
The only time it would be neccessary to place an RCD at the house end, would be if the earthing system for the house was TT.
In which case I would go with a 100mA time delayed RCD at the house end and still have 30mA for the socket-outlets at the outbuilding.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to rcd in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net