Discuss Re Wire of 1960 flat in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
We are looking to buy a flat which was built in 1962, we are considering putting in an offer . The wiring has never been replaced and thus no earth on the lighting . The CU is the original wire pull fuses.
Clearly 1st job would to get a professional in and get it rewired.

The flat has been fitted out with new Kitchen and bathroom and decorated to good standard. The ceiling and floor is solid.

To get an idea of the work that would be undertaken is it a case of all the wiring would be chased up to the ceiling area then fixed across all the ceilings to the CU location and then new ceilings put in all the rooms.

I appreciate professional would advise on inspection and I will be having an electrician survey the property if we make an offer at the survey stage, just trying to get an idea of the work involved before we move forward.

Cant see an electrician going round when we are still at viewing stage.

Any guidance would be appreciated

We are looking to buy a flat which was built in 1962, we are considering putting in an offer . The wiring has never been replaced and thus no earth on the lighting . The CU is the original wire pull fuses.
Clearly 1st job would to get a professional in and get it rewired.

The flat has been fitted out with new Kitchen and bathroom and decorated to good standard. The ceiling and floor is solid.

To get an idea of the work that would be undertaken is it a case of all the wiring would be chased up to the ceiling area then fixed across all the ceilings to the CU location and then new ceilings put in all the rooms.

I appreciate professional would advise on inspection and I will be having an electrician survey the property if we make an offer at the survey stage, just trying to get an idea of the work involved before we move forward.

Cant see an electrician going round when we are still at viewing stage.

Any guidance would be appreciated
Your Electrician may suggest using trunking rather than destroying good decorations, not very attractive, but have seen it done before. Makes you wonder why the previous owner didn't consider rewiring prior to having new Kitchen and bathroom along with all the new decorations, some folk get their priorities around the wrong way.

Yes, I can't believe anybody would have gone ahead with the kitchen/bathroom without running new circuit to CU and replace CU. It is what it is. I do not want to see trunking so obviously will be wanting chased into walls. So yes lots of mess but would like some clarity if my opinion of ceiling route and re boarding would be a possibility.
Once i have confirmation such work would be to regs i can go forward on the flat and then get professional in to survey

Yes, I can't believe anybody would have gone ahead with the kitchen/bathroom without running new circuit to CU and replace CU. It is what it is. I do not want to see trunking so obviously will be wanting chased into walls. So yes lots of mess but would like some clarity if my opinion of ceiling route and re boarding would be a possibility.
Once i have confirmation such work would be to regs i can go forward on the flat and then get professional in to survey
If your ceiling has a void and is covered with some sort of board then, yes it probably would be possible, although it's difficult to be absolutely sure without having seen the property.

It will be messy and not cheap, but from what you have said so far it looks a possibility, make sure you ask the Electrician if his price includes making good any building fabric damage, new boarding and plastering etc, there have been cases whereby the Electrician has finished and not repaired the damage caused by rewiring.

Something worth noting, as if he doesn't include the making good in his price, it will be an extra cost burden, you will need to factor in your budget, good luck.

I come across this scenario quite often, particularly where there are concrete floors. If possible I chase the walls, lower the ceilings and re-board and plaster. This allows the cables to be run out of sight and presents a neater finish.
Yes that's another way of overcoming the problem, good idea.

Ok, I'm going to throw an idea out there...

The flat has been fitted out with new Kitchen and bathroom and decorated to good standard

If the kitchen is new then the wiring is new. If it's all been tiled and the OP doesn't want to rip it all out for 'new new' wiring then why not just connect to the new kitchen cables with the 'new new' cables?
That is if the existing kitchen cable wiring is up to scratch...

Well if you do put an offer in and but the place, first thing is get an EICR done, it will give you an overall picture.
I have done a flat rewire in Bath, ex local authority built like a bomb shelter. Old wiring was all singles in metal conduit but had rusted and not fit for use.
So chased the walls the non load bearing walls as these were thankfully soft concrete blocks.very messy and hard work. and with the ceilings i capped the cables, and got somebody to baton and board the ceiling ready for the plasterer. All added to the final price.
On a couple of walls had to cap and have boarded as there is next to no chance of chasing them as they were reinforced concrete, also building control weren't too pleased with the prospect either. as the chasing could have damaged it structurally.
in terms of the flat you may buy, it all depends on what walls are made of, are the floors concrete? if they are wood then cables can be run under the floor boards

You have all been most helpful and I thank you for your time and comments.
From what has been said it looks like its a good chance that the false ceiling could be the answer.
Obviously there is a price but I will take this into consideration when looking at the overall cost of the property and investment into it.
ITS THE PRICE WE WILL HAVE TO PAY IF WE WANT A SEA SIDE PROPERTY WITH GREAT VIEWS.
Going forward I will be in contact looking for professionals in the Rustington Sussex area.

During three purchase process the vendor will be asked about electrical changes etc.

This should raise alarm bells if they say no changes have been made
And certificates for the wiring in the kitchen, if the bathroom has had electrical work done has there been an RCD included as the op mentioned he has an old rewire-able CU that's worth investigating as well. Makes you wonder if the OP is sorry he asked questions, hope not as I hate to see non electrical people getting shafted.
So I guess questions that need asking are:
Are there any certificates for the electrical work, if not why not?
Was /is an RCD required for electrics in the the bathroom?
Is the main bonding satisfactory?
If the cables in the new kitchen are > than 50mm why wasn't it protected by an RCD (if there proves not to be one).

Anyone got any thing else to add?

If we go forward on this property I shall take the view that the wiring is not up to date and needs changing. Along with other requirements that we would need in the flat in so far of changing things its a case of everything out to get the correct rewire.
The issue of covering the wiring up is the bit the worries me. With the indication that any wires attached to the solid ceiling could be batterned out and replaster boarded gives me confidence going forward in that once rewired everything will be out of site and up to standard.
So it all looks possible

You have all been most helpful and I thank you for your time and comments.
From what has been said it looks like its a good chance that the false ceiling could be the answer.
Obviously there is a price but I will take this into consideration when looking at the overall cost of the property and investment into it.
ITS THE PRICE WE WILL HAVE TO PAY IF WE WANT A SEA SIDE PROPERTY WITH GREAT VIEWS.
Going forward I will be in contact looking for professionals in the Rustington Sussex area.
Well all the best

Another course of action you could take is have the property completely rewiredusing plastic conduit on walls, ceilings etc, then as you redecorate each room, you then chase the cables in to the walls and above ceilings. My brother has done this in 2 properties. Most people redecorate each room after moving to a new home, to put their own touch on things.

Whatever way its done, it will be messy & relatively expensive. As you go into this purchase make sure you have your eyes wide open, just noting your hopes in #10, along with the many others things that will need doing.

raise alarm bells if they say no changes have been made
And certificates for the wiring in the kitchen, if the bathroom has had electrical work done has there been an RCD included as the op mentioned he has an old rewire-able CU that's worth investigating as well
To be honest the op has already realised the wiring needs a lot of work and should go in accordingly.
I don't think he is looking for a relationship with the vendor and many vendors wouldn't have a clue what they're writing anyway, so just ignore their answers on these topics.
Our vendore just ticked no or not known for everything despite doing a similar cosmetic makeover on an old house with terminal blocks etc floating around in full view, and a new boiler, no certificates in sight for anything. we just ignored that and mentally costed in all the work regardless.
Getting too hung up on the vendor distract from the house itself.
Sounds like everyone has a cool head so hopefully it will go well:)

Where in London is the flat and do you have a link to it so we can get an idea of the layout/materials in the build, also is it a conversion or in a purpose build block?

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Re Wire of 1960 flat in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net