Discuss Recommendations for outdoor spotlights - actually suitable for outdoors in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Simon47

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone have a recommendation - preferably without needing a second mortgage - for some outdoor spotlights ?
I've tried a number of options and am getting a bit fed up with trying things and them not working out for various reasons. Most LED floodlights have ridiculously wide beam angles - typically in the order of 120˚ - which means that by the time I've pointed them far enough down to not pee off the neighbours, they throw little light in the garden and a lot into the living room through the windows :cool: And the last attempt I had (PAR38 lamps & fittings), not only did the lights not have the spec described - 35˚ beam angle, my backside - but they also turned out to not be weatherproof as this picture shows (red arrow is pointing out the water level) o_O I need to get the ladders out and see if the water has gone up past the lamp-housing seal and gone in that way, or if that part is still dry and the water's gone in through the lamp itself.
20200818_173257.jpg
The fittings are these which are described as IP44, and lamps are these which are described as IP55. I have my doubts about IP44 as being suitable for outside use - and in fact one supplier when I had a similar problem with festoon lighting then proceeded to say the "outdoor" products were only suitable for sheltered locations :confused:

So looking for something warm white (or SWMBO will complain), beam no wider than 90˚ (and that's to where there's a reasonably defined cutoff), and a similar quantity (in the order of 2000lm) of light across 2 or 4 fittings (I've two of the twin fittings shown in the photo). Any suggestions ? I don't think my budget would run to something like the Pulsar stuff :(

Reply to Recommendations for outdoor spotlights - actually suitable for outdoors in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net