Discuss recommended entry level pro tester in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Those two twin and earths are abysmal.
once upon a time im told the place used to be a dental practice and the dentists home - when i got the place 6 years ago i remember asking the Electric Board/Grid (may have been the DNO) if i could have an updated supply as someone did say it was a very old inlet but they wanted something like £2k - 3k to update the inlet !! - while the gas board fitted all new free of charge. However thanks to this forum i will now contract the DNO for the area and specifically talk to them about the earth - I do really appreciate all your help

what i was planning on doing is buying an earthing rod from toolstation and connecting it to the metal connection strip and do some testing ive always loved electrics :)
I've seen an installation that someone had done that although the person that did it worked for an NICEIC contractor and should have known better. It was on a looped supply from nextdoor it turned out that having got the DNO involved the rod was the earthing point or 6 - 8 properties, the DNO engineer was far from happy

hi there
can anyone recommend a test device that I can use for anything i need in the home (I think my basic multimeter is limited ....im probably looking for an entry level professional unit as im even thinking of becoming a trainee electrician as a change in career in the post covid world).

(I had an appliance fixed under its first year guarantee the other week and the guy advised my earth / ground resistance value was a bit high - ive done some research and im thinking of putting an additional earth spur and earthing rod but first it would be good to have a meter where i can test the earth resistant values .... i think in the UK it should be less than 5 ohms)
Just stand on the corner and shout !ban the bomb! to become a pro tester.

Just stand on the corner and shout !ban the bomb! to become a pro tester.
That was worth the 4 month wait ?

For future viewers, the Megger 1552 has to be a good shout - available on ebay for less than £200 and still does pretty much everything for basic testing - also pretty much bullet proof if you don't heavily abuse it.

Do be aware that not all testers will test an Earth Rod, not sure of the Megga 1552, but it's a pretty much essential test in most TT installations.

Reply to recommended entry level pro tester in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net