Discuss Recommended installation books in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Spark2be

Can anyone recommend a good electrical installation book please? As colleges are not being funded for C&G 2330 level 3 anymore I have to take the EAL level 3 in electrical and electronic engineering and so I am worried that I am going to miss out on some of the installation side of things.......

I have just finished my EAL Level 3 and the I used and also recommend are the following..
rather than tell you the titles I give the the links...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Basic-Elect...6284/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333718021&sr=8-1 - Course Book - OK but shame it's not more advanced in certain area's
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eis-Princip...1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1333718083&sr=1-1-fkmr0 - Course Book - Brilliant for the 008 unit, they do them for each unit, but they are £15 a book and there is 5 units to cover...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Guidance-No...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1333718198&sr=1-1 - A must for units 6 and 7 and you'll need it after anyway...
On-Site Guide: BS 7671:2008 Wiring Regulations, incorporating Amendment No 1:2011 Iet Wiring Regulations: Amazon.co.uk: Iet: Books - Again a must for all the units really, apart from 008 and again, you'll need it after the course
Wiring Systems and Fault Finding: For Installation Electricians: Amazon.co.uk: Brian Scaddan IEng; MIIE (elec): Books - This is great for parts of the course, not a must, but dead handy..
As it's a new-ish course there is little in the way of pass papers, so get as much info as you can of your tutor as he will also have a set of ECA books and are great for hand outs...

Good look mate

Thanks for all of them really appreciated!!

I was thinking about buying the student electrical installation book for the 2330 level 3, not to specifically pass the EAL L3 (although it should help) but to cover anything the EAL L3 will miss when it comes to installation.

On a side not what did you think of the EAL L3 in relation to being a spark in the field??

Best to call in to a store and have a look through them. The Regs or On-site guide won't mean much to you if you don't know the basics.
Are you on an apprenticeship course?
I thought it was 2357 being run at present?

Thanks for all of them really appreciated!!

I was thinking about buying the student electrical installation book for the 2330 level 3, not to specifically pass the EAL L3 (although it should help) but to cover anything the EAL L3 will miss when it comes to installation.

On a side not what did you think of the EAL L3 in relation to being a spark in the field??

You will come across other books which might come in handy, but it's whether or not it's worth buying them.
How long does your course last for? EAL, though in my opinion, haven't quite got it right yet? But it's eary days I guess.
My level 3 lasted 8 months, so by the time we got the nitty gritty part, I'd nearly finished..
I did the level 2 as a C&G course and as you've mentioned level 3 isn't really funded anymore...so we had to do the EAL version of the level 3 course, if I am honest, I found the most part of it pretty easy,unit 008 was the most difficult. We are now seeking placements for our Level3 NVQ log book and AM2 is due in November, only then have we completed the level 3.
But it's not difficult, so far..and if you put the hours in , you'll fly through it..

Last edited:
I thought it was 2357 being run at present?

If you can go the C&G route then 2357 it is, the college I attend have decided to use EAL and the qual is a mixture of 2330/2357 and come up EAL Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Installing Electrotechnical Systems ( Building, Structures and the Environment)
it's a recognised qual, so it will do for me...

Are you doing this at a college?
If so they have something called a vle which is a virtual learning environment (or something quite close!). Your college pays a subscription to something greek sounding and are able to grant people on courses online access to this. You could always ask your tutor if he can include books you are interested in. They will probably be quite keen as ofted are really trying to encourage this.
Where's Howard when you need him - he can explain this properly I'm sure!

So you finished you EAL L3 diploma before you started your NVQ?? I am a little confused as I was under the impression that in order to qualify for the diploma you need the NVQ to run alongside it?

So you finished you EAL L3 diploma before you started your NVQ?? I am a little confused as I was under the impression that in order to qualify for the diploma you need the NVQ to run alongside it?

I started the level 3 last september and did 5 theory exams, we are soon to start work placement, which allows me to complete the the level 3 NVQ log book.
I am at Lancaster and Morecambe college and apparently we are the first to do this qual in it's form. It's usually a 2 year qual, but we did some cross over units from level 2 (C&G) to EAL level 3. Allowing us to do 5 exams. I also have to performance exams (inspection and testing / safe isolation) to do and a 2 hour written exam.
I am not sure if other colleges do it differently or not.
But I haven't finished the diploma yet, only when I take and pass the AM2 will I have passed.
But the theory based parts, all done...so in a sense I have done, but not completed yet....

Yeah it's the first time my college has run this course also. I am getting told by some tutors that I don't need the NVQ aspect to complete the level 3 diploma, however, others are saying that I will?? The college has even split the two years and are saying that if we complete one of the two years then we will get a level 3 cirtificate. Only if I do the second year will I get the full diploma.

Well mate I can only comment on the college I attend really, but you do need the the level 3 nvq log book, you are assessed on various jobs / installations and making sure you practice health and safety and EAW 1989....it takes around 3 / 4 months to do.
I am pretty sure you can't really progress without it...but like I say this is what LMC are telling me and imagine learning centres around the country tell you different info..
Once we've got our log book completed,we are put in for the AM2 in November
I am trying to find the link on the EAL site and can't find it.
I am sure yours will be pretty similar and you'll be OK..

Good Luck

Ian

Reply to Recommended installation books in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net