Discuss Refurb of Emergency Lighting - Temporary em Lighting during construction??? in the Electrical Forum Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

KINKY

Morning!

Got a question relating to Emergency lighting please.

I work on a industrial pharmaceutical production site, over the next 4years we are bringing all the em lighting up to the latest BS, as it has been neglected for years & years.

We have got the situation in one building where the existing system is to be disabled on the first day, leaving this 2 storey building without any em lighting for approx 4 weeks.

The question is, Do we have to provide temp em lighting? Is there a document somewhere saying we don’t have to during construction period?

The building consists of small 5/6 person offices & laboratories. There is a zone 1 hazardous areas but this is not normally occupied, it’s just a solvent store. All the occupants are familiar with the escape routes and building layout.

Installing temp em lighting is not really an option.

How would other people overcome this issue?

Cheers Lee

The BS 5266 has changed quite a few things regarding emergency lighting and a good guide book is this one:

Electrician's Guide to Emergency Lighting: Amazon.co.uk: Paul Cook: Books

For 20 notes it's quite good. I would imagine that as it is a commercial site the H&S people as well as the EAWR and your companies insurance people would insist on some for of temporary EM.

Would it not pay your company to get a few of these for use during the renovation as they can be moved around as required.

2 x 20W Non Maintained Twin Spot Emergency Light

We did an emergency lighting replacement on a factory once and hired a standby generator, auto changeover switch to whichever lighting distribution board was being worked on. In other words, the primary lighting was backed up in the event that there was power failure for whatever reason.

It comes down to cost but this place was health and safety mad so this solution allowed us to get the job done!

"IQ Electrical" you giving information are really good to set up easily emergency lighting trough using generator. At this time you can getting emergency lighting in your construction area then it is really difficult task to set up, so using more generator to your side and that is really best option for all.

Reply to Refurb of Emergency Lighting - Temporary em Lighting during construction??? in the Electrical Forum Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net