Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

3. If you are a trainee and haven’t already applied to join our trainee forum then follow this link https://www.electriciansforums.co.uk/forums/apply-to-gain-access-to-trainee-only-forum.60/ The trainee forum is a closed area of the forum where the Forum Mentors will freely share their vast experience within the industry. 

Dismiss Notice

Discuss Refurb works In offices in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. cliffed

cliffed Regular EF Member

Just your thoughts on this one,doing a part refurb on existing offices,no initial verification or certs found anywhere.
    Premises rewired bout 1990,adding sockets here & there in each room.
    The DB is a Crabtree Tpn polestar,just finished some loop readings ,& not good,1.49 the highest,there is no rcd protection on any of the circuits,the ring mains are of a 3871 type 2 32 amp.
    We are now waiting from architect or whoever on what to do.
    In the meantime bit concerned about our new additions,should I refuse to connect them up.

2. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Respected Member

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    all depends on what you are fitting. if RCD is required under various 7671 regs. then you need to provide same. all you need to do is ensure your new works comply and sod anything else ( unless you perceive a danger, then it should be addressed).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

This is where the "description of work" on the EIC will CYA.

Be descriptive, and detail your work.

In the comments section, raise any issues.

Then its documented........

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. anthonybragg

anthonybragg Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    CHARLTEC ELECTRICAL LTD
    My thoughts on doing one assess what's on the existing circuits in works area and is the circuits wired to a good standard to be adapted/strip out back to a point to start afresh as much as possible .
    Zs of 1.49 you have to ask why what is the Zs/Zdb ?.

5. wirepuller

wirepuller Forum Mentor

If you have carried out alterations and additions to existing circuits you should have verified the suitability for the work you are carrying out before starting. It's no good refusing to connect after you've altered the circuit.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Staff Member Moderator

If you are adding to existing circuits then circuit protection must be adequate.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. cliffed

Agree,I’m not going to connect until someone tells me I can,the loop reading do not comply,there is no rcd,& doubt if you can retrofit a rcd to that DB.
    This installation been in service like this quite some time,nobody’s said,or done anything about this problem

8. Andy78

Andy78 Forum Mentor

Who designed the alterations ?

9. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Staff Member Moderator

Is the Zs correct for the circuit layout, e.g. long ring final or radial but with incorrect circuit protection.

10. cliffed

Yea everything fine,regarding the new circuit,all dead tests are fine,the Zs are the problem,through out the this area,on ring main.

11. cliffed

The alterations are not the problem,they consist of extra power points to the existing ring,that ring causes the problem.

12. anthonybragg

Business Name:
    CHARLTEC ELECTRICAL LTD
    Is the Zdb low for what it is ?. If so investigation/improvements would need to be done on the existing and what about RCD protection ?.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. cliffed

Yea the Tpn Zs is ok,it’s the existing high loops,it’s basically adding a couple of power points in the office.

14. Andy78

Andy78 Forum Mentor

I think my point was that the design of the alterations should have taken into account the values associated with the existing circuits and their suitability for the alterations.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. anthonybragg

Business Name:
    CHARLTEC ELECTRICAL LTD
    It is usually in the spec that investigation prior to works should be sort by the electrical contractor should take place.

• Agree Agree x 2