Discuss Registered vs NOT Registered in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

V

vectraj

Hi Guys,

having recently passed my 2394/95 Test and Inspect exams :sweatdrop: I am now left with a grey area question!
Is it better to be part of a scheme (registered) or is it perfectly fine to be NOT registered? :confused5:

Hi Guys,

having recently passed my 2394/95 Test and Inspect exams :sweatdrop: I am now left with a grey area question!
Is it better to be part of a scheme (registered) or is it perfectly fine to be NOT registered? :confused5:

In regards to what ?
What sort of scheme do you wish to register with ? What sort of work do you carry out ?

Do you require a scheme to offer guarantee your EICRs or are you happy to do that yourself with your qualifications and PI insurance ?

I am happy to do it myself with my Qualifications and insurance.

That's great and all you really need for EICRs, as well as your understanding and experience in carrying them out. You also may need to consider any requirements for compliance with part P for any other domestic installation work or EICR remedials you may carry out.

Hi Guys,

Are you employed or (properly)self employed?

how much notifyable private domestic work do you plan to carry out in a year

Self employed with 90% of my work coming from an agency who employ / sub out work to me and others to do electrical repairs to their houses and flats. I have worked with and under other electricians for over 10 years now and want to venture out on my own. EICRs are what I see myself doing mostly, although I do want to be able to self certify any work I install myself. But yeah maintenance and repair / fault finding is what I do currently.

If you are only doing EICRs, maintenance and fault finding then there would be no necessity to be registered with a self certification scheme.
This would be because you would not be undertaking any work that was notifiable to building control.

Any wiring regulations installation or condition report forms that you need to issue can be done without joining a scheme, it is only the building regulations certificates that practically need you to join.

If you were installing new circuits, consumer units or making modifications (not repairs) to circuits in rooms containing a sauna or swimming pool or in the zones of a room containing a bath or shower then this would be notifiable to building control.

Whilst this notification can be done before you start the work on the requirement to pay the building control fee, this method can be prohibitively expensive from a business point of view and so it is more sensible to join a scheme.

If you are only doing EICRs, maintenance and fault finding then there would be no necessity to be registered with a self certification scheme.
This would be because you would not be undertaking any work that was notifiable to building control.

Any wiring regulations installation or condition report forms that you need to issue can be done without joining a scheme, it is only the building regulations certificates that practically need you to join.

If you were installing new circuits, consumer units or making modifications (not repairs) to circuits in rooms containing a sauna or swimming pool or in the zones of a room containing a bath or shower then this would be notifiable to building control.

Whilst this notification can be done before you start the work on the requirement to pay the building control fee, this method can be prohibitively expensive from a business point of view and so it is more sensible to join a scheme.

Thank you for clearing that up for me. It seems I'll have to join scheme of some sort (NICEIC domestic installer) ? as I'm sure there will be
Times when I'm going to be asked to do more than just maintenance repairs and EICRs.
I also don't want to be held back by expensive red tape every time I need to run a new circuit. whats the point of me passing my 2394 and 2395
If I can't use them to the fullest extent permitted. (Domestic)

Thank you for clearing that up for me. It seems I'll have to join scheme of some sort (NICEIC domestic installer) ? as I'm sure there will be
Times when I'm going to be asked to do more than just maintenance repairs and EICRs.
I also don't want to be held back by expensive red tape every time I need to run a new circuit. whats the point of me passing my 2394 and 2395
If I can't use them to the fullest extent permitted. (Domestic)

The point of passing your testing and inspection courses is to gain technical knowledge and understanding to aid you to carry out your job to a good standard.
The building regulations or scheme membership have nothing to do with the courses you took. You can learn more about part P and it's requirements by downloading the approved document from here.
Planning Portal - Approved Document P - Electrical safety - Dwellings

Reply to Registered vs NOT Registered in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net