Discuss Regs download and tablets in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Speaking to my part p assessor the other day and he was recommending downloading the regs onto a tablet and using that instead of paper. Anyone using this method ? How much does the gold package set you back as I'm waiting for IET to get back to me.
Also recommendations for a tablet l, I'm an apple man but if I go for this may just buy a cheap tablet for less than £100 and leave in the van.
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Regs download and tavlets

I'd much rather thumb through my regs than use a digital copy any day. It would be much faster for me as I know the layout inside out. There has to be a better reason for you to go digital other than someone else told you to.

Do you really need the gold package ? It looks like a whole load of guff added on over the silver package.

Unless things have improved dramatically recently, the IET digital regs package has been heavily criticised by those who have purchased it. I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole!

Where can I get a job as a Part P assessor? the commission for recommending stuff to folk must be astronomical.

Problems with digital packages can be summed up in one word/phrase.... DRM.

If they distributed the regs as standard PDF files hosted on your tablet or portable device then it would be great. You could keep all your regs such as electrical, building H&S etc all in one folder and then you could use the search tool within Acrobat reader to word search every one of them simultaneously for relevant info on a single subject.

Unfortunately they're so poop scared about piracy they want to only sell you limited-cached access to an online version and they further cripple it by making you use some proprietary DRM'd reader application which has limited search capabilities, increases the cost to the end user and generally makes the system as good as useless in the real world. All this serves little purpose other than actually fueling piracy by making an 'unofficial' PDF version a more tempting option.

And so the circle goes on......:hump:

Last edited:
Don't particularly want gold just interested I the price. Tbh just thought it would be cheaper and poss more convenient to keep regs on site guide and all guidance notes (silver £150)
Apparently they are available with offline access and a good search function, I think they've updated recently

Speaking to my part p assessor the other day and he was recommending downloading the regs onto a tablet and using that instead of paper. Anyone using this method ? How much does the gold package set you back as I'm waiting for IET to get back to me.
Also recommendations for a tablet l, I'm an apple man but if I go for this may just buy a cheap tablet for less than £100 and leave in the van.
Cheers

I have recently got a lenovo miix 300. It's around a ton and is more than adequate for form filling and doing quotes invoices etc. It's a 2 in 1 tablet with detachable keyboard. Windows OS.

Since getting it I am starting to get my evenings back to myself rather than filling in EICs til midnight!

Don't particularly want gold just interested I the price. Tbh just thought it would be cheaper and poss more convenient to keep regs on site guide and all guidance notes (silver £150)
Apparently they are available with offline access and a good search function, I think they've updated recently

Hi gns.
I pay around £100 for my silver package, I'm an IET member. It gets you all the versions of the Regs to 17th Ed and all the onsite guides, plus the GNs. I went the other way and bought a good case for the iPad rather than a cheap tablet. It's called a lifeproof. I use the software a lot and it really does help with being able to use whilst on site and show parts to the customer. You're also then not carrying a Regs book, all the GNs and various on site guides with you. I leave the paper copy in the office (which was free to me anyway). The search function has always served me fine, but I'm no computer whiz kid. At around £100 I think it's worth it but if the price rose much I'd have to think hard. About a year or so ago the IET changed the software. I much preferred the older software. No when you download the books they stay on your tablet for a period and then you have to download them again, but it's not a big bug bear for me.

Reply to Regs download and tablets in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net