Discuss Remote Control Mcb in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

Paul Clarke

Hi,

Need to have emergency stop switches for a workshop that will kill all the power

Looking for a remote control MCB or similar that can be added to distribution panel to enable a complete mains ring to be isolated from one or more push buttons around the workshop

I am unable to find such a solution online

Any ideas?

Thanks

Suitably sized contactor up front of DB controlled by em stop buttons situated at intervals around your workshop

Might be better using the contactor in the feed to the ring - this would avoid all the lights going out. Daz

A plain and simple contactor is all you need on the Ring final circuit after the MCB /RCBO plus EM stop buttons.

Is the EM stop circuit for convenience or to comply with a Reg?

Sorry have to say kill the supply, let the EM lights take over until it's sorted, see the point of only killing the sockets, but Nah take it all out of the equation imo.

Thanks

I had already looked for a solution like that but could only find solutions using safty rated PLCs which is over the top for my needs

I will look again

You do not need a PLC for emerency lighting. Just a feed with permanent live, when the live goes off they change into battery operation.

Good point amlu. Plc for em lighting? Different. Daz.

Kill 'Em All contactor sounds better than a contactor on a ring, the place may have couple of dedicated radials for powering machines...

Not sure why the EM Stops would need to do anything with the lighting at all? Surely just a contactor or contactors for the machines. If EM Stops killed the lighting then if anything it's also creating a hazard also

123 has it right. Kill the machines, not the lighting. Need to see things when somethings gone t*ts up. Daz.

Start from basics.
WHY, do you "NEED" the emergency stop?
Are you trying to comply with some sort of legislation or standard, or is just because you would like to have one in your home hobby workshop which is not for business use?

Hi,

Need to have emergency stop switches for a workshop that will kill all the power

Looking for a remote control MCB or similar that can be added to distribution panel to enable a complete mains ring to be isolated from one or more push buttons around the workshop

I am unable to find such a solution online

Any ideas?

Thanks

To remotely trip an mcb you need to add a tripping auxiliary to the mcb, either a shunt trip or an under voltage release depending on your act requirements.
At first glance I would have thought an under voltage release would be more suited to an emergency switching setup than a shunt trip.
But I think you need to take a step or two backwards and establish the details of exactly what you need, which could include risk assessments and a lot of research into statutory legislation.

Reply to Remote Control Mcb in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net