Discuss Replacement shower in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Fitting a shower to an existing wiring point is a notifiable job as it is in a bathroom/showeroom as it is a special location and as it has no RCD protection that would also be required.

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
According to the Part P document (note m, page 9):

"The fitting and replacement of cookers and electric showers is not notifiable unless a new circuit is needed"

If you a replacing like for like, ie. current shower is buggered so you are fitting a new one of similar or lower capacity then it all goes back to the maintenance/repair vs. installation/addition thing whereby you don't need to certificate or bring the circuit up to 17th edition standards in theory.

It's not a notifiable job - it's specifically excluded in black and white.

Now, if you are installing a new shower circuit, a) it is notifiable and b) it requires RCD protection.

However, if your current shower on an existing circuit has decided to give up the ghost and you want to fit a new one, providing it is not higher rated just go ahead. If your shower breaks down you simply repair or replace it - no need to suddenly upgrade the installation to 17th edition. What if it was fed from an old rewireable fuseboard for example and couldn't be RCD protected without putting a new board in? What customer would accept a bill of several hundred quid and major disruption just to get their shower working again? Certainly recommend that the installation needs updating but there is now specific requirement to undertake this for repair/maintenance work unless there are fundamental and immediate safety issues with the existing set up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree with what you say Julian however to get it up to 17th edition RCD required so at the very least I would say the work at the consumer unit is notifiable.

Chris

Agree with what you say Julian however to get it up to 17th edition RCD required so at the very least I would say the work at the consumer unit is notifiable.

Chris

Yes that is true, but my point is that for simple maintenance/repair work, there is no specific requirement to bring the circuit up to 17th edition standards - that only applies to installations and additions.

OK, put it this way - similar situation - the light switch plate in your kitchen is cracked and requires replacement. The circuit is on an old rewireable board with no RCDs and no way of adding them without putting a new CU in. Do you replace the damaged light switch or do you notifiy the work to Building Control, replace the switch plate and carry out a board change to ensure the kitchen lighting circuit conforms to 17th edition standards?

I hear what you are saying and dont wish to get into an arguement however would you consider a shower rated at 7KW replaced by a 9.5KW like for like as in your switch or an upgrade which changes everything. As no wattage was mentioned we dont know and I advised the safest answer for the information given.

Chris

:) Not arguing mate, just discussing things as I see it. Happy to be proven wrong.

Replacing a 7kW shower with a 9.5kW is not like for like, which is why I specifically mention fitting a shower of similar or lower rating. However, if it can be shown without any doubt that the existing wiring and breaker are sufficient to take the increase in capacity, personally I would go ahead because I am still just swapping the unit over and not undertaking any circuit addition/iinstallation work. However, I would need to be certain that the wiring is suitable in terms of both size and run/fixing method. If I couldn't check this adequately (and let's face it, in the real world you probably can't - what looks like 10mm at the shower and board might drop down to 6mm under the floorboards - nothing would surprise me), I would not increase the shower rating. If the customer wanted the higher rated shower, this would be the time I would look at upgrading the circuit and bringing it inline with 17th ed.

just remember most manufacturers require rcd which would have to be put in place if none was in place and then would need notifiying but if like for like with rcd in place not notifible

Reply to Replacement shower in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net