Discuss Replacing PIR with switched live in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

mike105

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi. (I hope this is the correct forum - first timer looking for advice.)

I want to replace an existing security light with a new one. The existing light has a switched live, allowing it to be switched (from a 1-gang 1-way wall switch) either so that it is permanently on or so that the motion detector is enabled. (It's similar to this one: Byron Elro ES94 GLS / 23W ES 4-Panel Wall Lantern with PIR Motion Detector Black,100w: Amazon.co.uk: Lighting.)

Is it possible to wire a new light to act in the same way (i.e. so it can be switched on permanently, by-passing the PIR)? The ones I've seen in the local shops just have the normal live, neutral and earth fittings.

Thanks.

Some PIR fittings have a feature where they operate as a 'motion detector only' if they are switched on but if you toggle the switch the brief power interruption puts them in 'permanently on' mode.

Most lanterns are fairly basic and will not have an easy method of bypassing the PIR sensor, often floodlights (not LED floodlights) do have the additional terminal.
If you really want to be sure of having the manual on function then you could wire a stand alone PIR sensor that can have a manual override before a non PIR lantern.

Some PIR fittings have a feature where they operate as a 'motion detector only' if they are switched on but if you toggle the switch the brief power interruption puts them in 'permanently on' mode.

Thanks, yes, but I was hoping that we could continue to use the switch in the same way.

If you really want to be sure of having the manual on function then you could wire a stand alone PIR sensor that can have a manual override before a non PIR lantern.
Are these easily available?

Most lanterns are fairly basic and will not have an easy method of bypassing the PIR sensor, often floodlights (not LED floodlights) do have the additional terminal.
Here is the original wiring.
Original Wiring Above Patio Door.JPG
What would the best way of wiring one like you refer to? Just terminate the SL/yellow wire, and use the N, L and E as normal?

These are standalone PIR sensors with a manual override connection available.
These are coach lanterns with PIR which I believe have a manual override connection.

One without the override connection would just terminate the yellow wire safely at the fitting, remembering that it can become live if the switch is operated.
Use LNE as usual.

Please could I double-check how I would wire the standalone PIR sensor using the original manual override (i.e. by means of the wall switch). Does this look OK / safe to you? The yellow wire is the existing switched live from the wall switch.
New Wiring Above Patio Door.JPG

looks OK. the PIR will switch the light and so will the yellow from the switch ( manually)

Reply to Replacing PIR with switched live in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net