Discuss replacing single pendant light with two new lights in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Heartman1

DIY
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

We have bought 2 new low-hanging light fittings from Ikea to go side by side above dining room table to replace the single pendant that's there now.

I enjoy DIY and learning to do any jobs i can by myself so just wondered how i would go about fitting these to replace the single fitting that's there please if anyone would be good enough to help me out?
I do know that i would need bracket to hook lights onto(lights are very light weight too)

There are currently two pendant light in the living room/dining room, one in main livingroom and one in dining room at rear.

Thanks so much

Attachments

• 356609157_204796312556640_3171765872453681480_n.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 24
  • light fittings.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 356576215_311365317897286_4124750368406088801_n.jpg
    427.7 KB · Views: 23
There’s something not right about how that existing pendant is wired… can you take another photo from the side showing all the terminals.

This particular job could be easy or very tricky, messy and expensive….
You would have to reroute the cables at the existing pendant to the position of one new light, and then run a new cable between the two new positions.
If there’s an attic above, its easy.

There’s something not right about how that existing pendant is wired… can you take another photo from the side showing all the terminals.

You would have to reroute the cables at the existing pendant to the position of one new light, and then run a new cable between the two new positions.
Appreciate your reply, there is an attic above. could i be cheeky and ask if you would be good enough to offer a drawing or something that i could follow please? many thanks!!

Attachments

• 356670922_6097591407034792_8087070050677490595_n.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 21
I think the browns are in a choc block and pushed back up the hole, rather than using the correct terminals in the rose.

Someone needs to check properly which blue is the switchwire, and which are neutrals.

Where in Scotland are you? A forum member could sort this in no time.

I think the browns are in a choc block and pushed back up the hole, rather than using the correct terminals in the rose.

Someone needs to check properly which blue is the switchwire, and which are neutrals.

Yes I can see that now it is clearer, pendant flex is likely to be reverse polarity but as you say it needs checking.

Ah ok, I have no idea. I am in Falkirk area

Reply to replacing single pendant light with two new lights in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net