Discuss Requirement for local isolators for air conditioner and fridge. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

Piratepete

Hi Guys
Clarification needed

1. Refrigerated Display cabinet in shop has it's condensor outside. I've been asked to provide a supply to an external isolator. QQ. Should there be an isolator inside the shop near the display unit as well?

2. Air Conditioner in home conservatory - condensor outside - supply goes to outside isolator. Same question - should there be an inside isolator?

Cheers

Pete :rockon2:

It really depends on the type of device. e.g. typical split systems have an outdoor unit and an indoor unit. The indoor unit can take its power from the outdoor unit via an inter-connecting cable. In this situation you can isolate the whole system by isolating the outdoor unit. Again its preferable for maintenance to have the isolator for the outdoor unit located outside, close to the unit, a rotary isolator with lock off facility is best. However I have fitted a few systems with the isolator fitted inside directly on the other side of the wall from the outdoor unit. This makes it easier to do a hard reset as often the outdoor units are high up and hard to reach. If the indoor unit unit is powered separately you would need another isolator for that but follow manufacturers instructions as they know best :)

Always feed the external condenser unit first on split air/con systems, via a local isolator . no need for any additional isolator for the indoor FCU, as these are generally wired through from the external condensing unit...

Reply to Requirement for local isolators for air conditioner and fridge. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net