Discuss RF Training in Manchester. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I'm thinking about doing the 7 week course at RF Training in Manchester. I've look at College courses, but would rather not spend 3 years at college!I have knowledge of electronics, electron theory and have read and understand everything in the 2330 level 2 course book!Does anyone know what ts company is like?Thanks,Chris

mate I went to RF at manchester and paid a large amount of dosh yes i did pass and it was very rushed

they say it makes you qualified electrician it doesnt ot makes you qualified domestic installer knowing what i know now i would have gone to college

at the time this wasnt a option as was told by jobcentre no funding ,training or any help as i am now 40 and aslo a carer
I gave my apprentice electician job up when i was 16 big mistake

did this course passed it all some with 100% but they miss a lot of the scientific principles and knowledge out
very very rushed
then did 2391 last year
studdied evry day for 4 months and passed first time

have now enrolled for lV3 2330 at college and got most of it funded as i enrolled before 1st april amazing considering what jobcentre had said if only i had found out before wasting £4020 discounted from £5020 there is no funding now unless you on jobseekers or employment support allowance for 2330 and it ends next july also you will need NVQ 2356 to be fully qualified JIB electrician
this course will teach you enough to possibly pass elecsa or niceic assesment but to go into someones house and do it is a different matter

7 weeks is not enough time to learn everything they mainly after your cash mate

reason i did it with RF was count get on at college and timescales
I have been involved on and off for 25 rs with electrics i wanted to learn more theory and inspection and testing as well as to finally get some quals so i could set up self employed

Its upto you but i would say college better route they are bringing new qual 2357 out but you have to be working in industry and only 16-18yr olds getting any funding for that

Last edited:
Has anyone else been with RF Training recently and if so what are your thoughts? I have just done some courses with them and am totally furious. Would be interested to hear other peoples recent experiences.

Hi mate

Its expensive for the time your there and very rushed
Why are you furious mate

I went there in 2009 since then i have done the 2391 at a college in 2010 and the 2330 lv3 at another college as well as trying to complete the NVQ
so probably if i had have known I could I would have gone the college route even though thats not all its cracked up to be but it would have saved me a very large amount of money
I studied hard for every qual I have and have been for last 3 yrs

they are fairly rushed and dont teach enough the old apprenticeships were a lot better and more in depth I only wish I had completed mine in the 80s But i was 17 then and stupid lol

Hi mate

Its expensive for the time your there and very rushed
Why are you furious mate

I went there in 2009 since then i have done the 2391 at a college in 2010 and the 2330 lv3 at another college as well as trying to complete the NVQ
so probably if i had have known I could I would have gone the college route even though thats not all its cracked up to be but it would have saved me a very large amount of money
I studied hard for every qual I have and have been for last 3 yrs

they are fairly rushed and dont teach enough the old apprenticeships were a lot better and more in depth I only wish I had completed mine in the 80s But i was 17 then and stupid lol

For some reason this forum isn't letting me post my full reply, it says I need to make 6 posts. So stand by for some random nonsense lol

- - - Updated - - -

as above - 2 to go!

ok!

So I paid nearly £12500 for 3 courses; electrical, plumbing and gas. The electrical course was a total joke and I ended up having to buy an online distance learning course to supplement the nonsense that the instructor was coming out with. I am not particularly dim but neither myself or anyone else on the course could follow what the tutor was coming out with. the course was very obviously aimed towards passing specific assessments and exams but didn't provide the knowledge to support the assessments or exams taken. We spent a week, "regs week" highlighting areas in the regs book, then on the last day did an online exam with each question corresponding to a section we had already highlighted.

The start of the plumbing course was excellent; but at the half way point the tutors changed and two guys taking us had a completely different attitude. We were literally given installation plans and told to crack on with the explanation that "there won't be anyone looking over your shoulder on a building site, we prefer to make things more like real life" It was meant to be a training course, not a building site replication!!

Off the back of that I cancelled the rest of the plumbing course and the gas course I had booked and asked for a refund. Was phoned by the training director and asked to detail my complaints in writing which I did. They have been ignoring my requests for a refund ever since. Totally ripped off and conned out of my hard earned cash, hence being totally furious!

Mate I jsut did the electrical course which at the time was £5020 reduced to 4020 I waited about 6 months before fianlly deciding after speaking to every private provider

the best i found was probably able skills but thats dartford kent so i couldnt do this as to far
who was the tutors for electrical I had Pete and chris they were ok Yeah no what ya mean basically they are jsut rushing you through and teaching you how to pass exams the reason i wnet was to learn more about the theory and Inspecting and testing as i had experience practically

But i would agreee to rushed dont go into enough detail I ended up helping others with there practical
I was gutted to have given them 4k as it was everything i had saved nearly

but i did loads of study at home also
this is why i then went onto do the 2391-10 at college and the 2330 lv3 and the NVQlv3
as most employers wont even look at people without 2391 or who have done quick courses etc

Keep pushing for a refund get solicitor or your MP onto it as 12k i would be furious to

good luck mate

Thanks Brucelee. I didn't have either of those tutors unfortunately. The course that was running 4 weeks behind my course had Chris as a tutor, his students were really happy with Chris. In contrast the students that were on the flexible learning option (so had my tutor and also Chris depending on how the weeks fell) did nothing but whinge about the tutor I had. They were all as confused as me and were commenting on the same points I had raised. utterly disgusting

I have raised a complaint with City and Guilds, but I don't expect them to have sharp teeth. In the meantime its going to my solicitor. RF Training don't even have the decency to answer my emails anymore. If further proof was needed that all they were interested in was your money then ignoring complaints is surely it. Disgusting company!!!

Hi mate

yes probably best to seek advice from a solicitor if you feel they didnt fulfill there part of the bargain
when i was there we had pete who knew the regs backwards he could give you the number of every reg and tell you the page
It was rushed but he guided us through we also had chris some of the time and he was great also 2 different teaching styles but both worked

But for the money its ridiculous really the whole C&G set up needs looking at and one set of quals and training for everyone regardless of age working or not in the industry
and regardless of age the C&G are jsut after there payday like the rest mate
Thats the one thing i have learned to be a electrician costs you the earth these days
and everyone wants there cut

if your still in touch with the restof the lads if they arent happy you should all get together power in numbers and all that people may start to take notice of you then

Good luck mate hop you get some of your money back if not all but these days it wont be easy
I thought long and hard before i gave them my cash and it was cash
i sat outside debating for about half hour before finally deciding to go for it

but even then i was thinking am i making the second biggest mistake of my life lol
my first was giving the apprenticeship up but you live and learn

Being a electriucian is all i wanted to do before i left school and still is to this day even though recently it hasnt been easy

wish you luck

Reply to RF Training in Manchester. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net