Discuss Ring door bell (wired) fitted now living room lights don’t work? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

TerryJH

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all,

so I bought a Ring wired ring door bell on Amazon prime day, £45 with free echo dot!

Anyway fitted as per instructions and it works fine. The Ring app tells me the transformer voltage is good.

BUT now my living room lights won’t turn on?

The doorbell and downstairs lights are on the same breaker, kitchen and hallway lights still work.
Have I made a mistake somewhere or is this unrelated to the new doorbell being fitted ?

Any advice appreciated, thanks in advance.

Typically a door bell feed is wired directly from the consumer unit on its own, but just possibly the doorbell supply then feeds the living room lights. You don't have any loose wires / connection in the doorbell by any chance - mains input side? PS: turn supply off before looking / checking.

Typically a door bell feed is wired directly from the consumer unit on its own, but just possibly the doorbell supply then feeds the living room lights. You don't have any loose wires / connection in the doorbell by any chance - mains input side? PS: turn supply off before looking / checking.
It should have its own feed , I agree but the electrician who installed decided otherwise ?. No loose wires doorbell side, just 2 wires that were both wired back to the ring doorbell. Mains side- do you mean in the breaker itself? Excuse my ignorance I’m in no way electrically trained but am competent at following instructions once I know what they mean ??

9327DC85-468F-4DBF-BD48-15F045F9812D.jpeg

Attachments

• EE4A25C7-F223-4061-AA19-A12C49A40240.jpeg
    409.6 KB · Views: 44
Breaker and doorbell mechanism with jumper cable now installed, worth noting the living lights don’t work even if the jumper cable isn’t installed as I’ve tried this too.

Attachments

• 4978D707-B1FD-4D97-AD2B-E492A6C203E5.jpeg
    377.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 16A32EFD-6E0A-42A4-884A-A43F0E731001.jpeg
    409.6 KB · Views: 21
Breaker and doorbell mechanism with jumper cable now installed, worth noting the living lights don’t work even if the jumper cable isn’t installed as I’ve tried this too.
The problem doesn't appear to be at the doorbell end - That is all low voltage wiring, that is fed from a transformer somewhere - either in the consumer unit, or in a separate enclosure near the doorbell mechanism...

It's possible that the feed for the lights passes through the transformer mains voltage side first and that a wire has come loose there, but if you haven't touched that then it may also be somewhere else and just a coincidence that it happened while you were doing the doorbell.

How are the living room lights switched? It may be worth removing the switch to check for any loose wires (turn the breaker off first).

Other alternatives are a loose wire at one of the existing lights - in this case it would be at the first one in the chain if none of them are working....

The problem doesn't appear to be at the doorbell end - That is all low voltage wiring, that is fed from a transformer somewhere - either in the consumer unit, or in a separate enclosure near the doorbell mechanism...

It's possible that the feed for the lights passes through the transformer mains voltage side first and that a wire has come loose there, but if you haven't touched that then it may also be somewhere else and just a coincidence that it happened while you were doing the doorbell.

How are the living room lights switched? It may be worth removing the switch to check for any loose wires (turn the breaker off first).

Other alternatives are a loose wire at one of the existing lights - in this case it would be at the first one in the chain if none of them are working....
Hi, checked the switches in the living room, all the wiring looks good no loose connections. I’ve changed the bulbs (simple but you never know). As I said the hall light works which is right next to the doorbell so if if though would be first in line if it’s all wired together? So either faulty light fittings or wiring loose in the fixture? Might be time to call an electrician and get my wallet out ?

Reply to Ring door bell (wired) fitted now living room lights don’t work? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net