Discuss - RIP Jim Bowen - Bullseye in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

Adam W

Somewhat lost in the news of the deaths of Ken Dodd and Stephen Hawking has been the loss of comedian, TV host and all-round-good-egg Jim Bowen who died today at the age of 80.

Anyone old enough to remember the 1980s will have tuned in on a Sunday tea time to see pairs of contestants comprising a dart player and a non dart player get the chance to win typically 80s prizes such as a carriage clock, nest of tables, teasmade or portable TV/VHS combo, then gamble it all for Bully's Star Prize which may have been a holiday, caravan, Talbot Samba or more often than not a speedboat, or lost the lot to go home with BFH (that's your Bus Fare Home).

This Saturday Challenge will be broadcasting 24 hours of Bullseye in tribute.

sei_3235773.jpg

INNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN ONE

Between 1999 and 2002, Jim Bowen presented a live morning magazine programme on Radio Lancashire. He resigned after making an allegedly racist remark on air.
He said someone was a "nxxnog", a common expression in the day meaning someone who was stupid.
It was was not meant racially but the PC brigade I believe forced his resignation.

Hello All,

I saw an episode a couple of weeks ago with George Best throwing for the 301 with 9 darts - he was no good at all at Darts but obviously they were overjoyed to be able to get him on the program.

I did not see the episode when it was originally broadcast - nor do I remember any of my Friends mentioning that George had appeared on the program at that time - and a lot of my Friends were both Football and Darts Fans and participants.

George was a young man at the time and he mentioned that he was about to start Training young players in the U.S. - I don`t know if that would be a clue to any Members to roughly what Year that would have been ?

Regards,

Chris

I'm not sure of the year but here is the episode:
George Best at 16:15

Hello Adam W,

Thanks for the link to the episode on YouTube.

Member 123 has found from the program credits that it was in 1984 - 34 years ago !

As other Members have written in the `Old Days` of only 4 TV channels Bullseye was the highlight of Sunday afternoon TV - I am sure watched by Millions - even people who were not really interested in Darts because there was nothing better on.

Regards,

Chris

P.S. Thanks also to Member 123 for finding the Year of broadcast for the episode.

Bullseye is on all day today on Challenge:
Freeview 46
Sky 145
Freesat 146
Virgin 139

Watching it now, the prize board is totally different to how it was at the end of the series.

Reply to - RIP Jim Bowen - Bullseye in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock