Discuss Rough quote? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi folks, I’ve been asked to change some accessories and I’ve no clue what to charge, just wondering if anybody could give me a rough quote? All the accessories are flat plate and screwless but it’s on freshly plastered walls.

The accessories to change are;
17 x twin sockets
2 x switched fused spurs
4 x 1 gang light switches
2 x 1 gang dimmer switches
2 x 2 gang light switches
1 x BT point

Im not interested in taking into account mileage/fuel etc, just for the labour. Also customer is supplying accessories.

Thanks in advance guys.

Seriously? I wasn’t expecting to charge that sort of cost tbh, perhaps showing my lack of experience in doing jobs for myself. Have you calculated that on a per point value then?
Even if the plaster looks OK, you could be in for a hard shift if it is not.
Best to cover yourself . It is easier to come down than up.

Seriously? I wasn’t expecting to charge that sort of cost tbh, perhaps showing my lack of experience in doing jobs for myself. Have you calculated that on a per point value then?
So what were you thinking of charging, flat plate screwless accessories can be a nightmare to fit and get them looking right, assuming 15 minutes per point it's 7 hours work before you do any testing

£240 would be my quote with the proviso that extra costs would be added if any back boxes had to be exchanged for deeper ones.

Or...

send the apprentice in for the day , give him (or her) their normal pay say £50 for the day , charge the customer £250 which is a fair price.
thats £200 in your pocket for Christmas beer And wine :)

Day rate for me.
You have to allow the full day for the job in the diary so unless there is an as and when job nearby the rest of the day is dead time.

I would charge a call out fee to start with and check the back boxes Then if all good to go after a sample few Charge A my day rate less call out fee if agreed to proceed.

For me, this totals up to a full day, and £280 on a day rate.

Yes it might be done a bit quicker, but when you find several of the sockets are USB and don't quite fit the boxes, oh and the dimmers have to fit into 16mm back boxes, it may well take longer than you think.

For me, this totals up to a full day, and £280 on a day rate.

Yes it might be done a bit quicker, but when you find several of the sockets are USB and don't quite fit the boxes, oh and the dimmers have to fit into 16mm back boxes, it may well take longer than you think.
could always fit surface pattresses over the existing back boxes. (said with builder's hard hat and hi-viz underpants on).

If everything is ok and no nasty surprises await you, it's a days work. So charge a day's work at whatever your day rate is. For me it would be something in the region of £300.

Reply to Rough quote? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net