Discuss Save British Steel Petition. in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Bobster

I've copied this post from a user on another forum, I haven't seen any mention here so thought I would share.

Please help save our country from becoming a nation of bankers, estate agents and insurance salesmen.

sign the petition please...

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/126128

I feel it's important that we retain these skills in our country as well as keeping these people's jobs and reducing the burden on the welfare system.

I read about this in the business pages of my local newspaper so it must be a pretty big deal. Out of interest what would be the options for 'saving' the steel industry? From what I read there weren't any options that sounded particularly viable.

Like all major industry once its gone its gone as setup cost too much now in uk
At the moment China is selling steel at unusually low prices but once it gains the lions share and we have no steel plants it will rise.
Tata (INDIA) own the works at S****horpe and want to sell it as its loosing cash.
from wikepedia " [h=2]Operations[edit][/h][h=2]

Blast Furnace 5 at the Port Talbot Steelworks

S****horpe Steelworks​

The outside of the basic oxygen steelmaking plant at the S****horpesteel works.​

As of 2016 Tata Steel Europe has three blast furnace based steelmaking facilities at:[SUP][43][/SUP]

It also has rolling mills and steel product manufacturing sites situated at:[SUP][43][/SUP]
Flat products
Long products
Tube
Other
  • Rotherham - engineering steels
  • Wednesbury, England - bright bar
  • Tata Steel Europe produce electrical steels via their subsidiary Cogent Power.[SUP][44][/SUP] Grain-orientated sheet at Orb Works, Newport, South Wales; and non-grain orientated sheet at Surahammar, Sweden; a finishing works in Burlington, Ontario, Canada.[SUP][43][/SUP]
[SUP]
Tata steel (formally Corus) plan to sell all there steelworks in uk and have done so plant by plant who Knows what will remain but all means all to me
[/SUP]

[/h]

Then the colateral damage. Industry they sustain includes powerstations for arc furnaces and machinery ,all the assosiated trades who contract there haulage,block making from the slag,deep mines shut,coke plants shut. then local economy loses a lot of wages.

On another note ferrybridge power station is closed what will happen to the lafarge plant that uses there "waste product" a synthetic gypson which saves importing gypson? nothing has been said yet but I bet plasterboard prices rise?
ps lafarge are now Siniat but a hoover is a hoover even if its Dyson

Reply to Save British Steel Petition. in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net