Discuss Schneider GET phone point terminals in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

NDG Elecs

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I have a Schneider GET ultimate flat plate phone point to install tomorrow. I had a quick look at the face plate today when I picked it up and am befuddled. The terminals are not screw type nor insulation displacement type either. They look to be some kind of push fit akin to Wagos. The enclosed leaflet with the plate only mentioned screw and IDC. So has anyone used these before, and know what's what?

Thanks, Neil
IMG_20170613_153119.jpg

Photo below.

I would guess that the stripped conductor pushes into the little round hole, and the button is pressed to release it if required.

Or the button is pressed to allow the conductor to be pushed in.

I've come across them before and not too impressed.
They are a push in terminal but, if I remember correctly, don't need the cable stripping, just like a normal phone socket without the push in tool.
Strip the cable and they are a very weak connection and problems begin because removing and reconnecting takes a bit of care to prevent damaging the terminal for re use.
Not good for Schneider.

Thanks for the replies. I have not tried any cable in them yet as was pushed for time. I inspected them whilst gently pushing/pulling the little buttons and nothing seemed obvious in that you couldn't see any internal parts moving apart etc. The manufacturers gumph with the socket shows an IDC tool, but I didn't even get that out of the van to check it because it obviously isn't going to work!

After just looking at the photo again I am wandering if you are meant to push a tool in the round hole and this causes the lower section 'clamp' to open up perhaps... I will have a play around with it tomorrow. I dislike IDC terminals generally but they suddenly seem a great idea!

So I had a little play around with it today, and not happy with the result I rang their technical. After the fella trying to insist it will be IDC and me saying otherwise repeatedly, he found out and rang me back five mins later.

So you do a combination of DS and IPFs posts. You push the lower grey tab in and insert insulated cable in round holes. Releasing the grey tab causes the insulation to be cut through, similar to IDC, and that's it.
Gotta say that they are a bit flimsy, even for telephone cable. I think IDC is better. The rest of the Schneider flat plate gear is pretty decent in comparison, with the clip on front plates especially secure.

Thanks again.

Reply to Schneider GET phone point terminals in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net