Discuss Scratches on PV Panels in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

@moggy, I read your comments and whilst we all now about the efects of shading - do you have some evidence with regards to your claims of long term detriminetal effect - e.g. case studies, published papers etc that I could read?

And yes I've talked to my brother who actively works in the field that you qualified in and abandoned ;)

The effect I have seen are specifically on optical lenses where you see a pattern of delamination along the dges of a scratch on an AR coat. you don't see it that often because by and large spectacle lenses are replaced every couple of years or so but I have seen it on older lenses and those with inferior coatings from companies that suggest you should have gone to, but I think maybe you shouldn't!
Clearly any marking on an optical surface will affect the transmission of light through that surface, be it dirt, scratches, or shade (although not strictly a marking on the surface.

Reddy - Very good news that you are getting your scratched panels replaced ... I haven't yet heard back from my installer since I emailed him a couple of days ago, but you getting your scratched panels replaced at least sets a precedent.

I think logic dictates that what moggy1968 points out about degredation of AR surfaces is correct, and it concerns me that fifteen years down the line these scratches might indeed have caused degredation.

It is an expensive and long-term investment that ought to be installed scratch free.

Very pleased - the installation company replaced the 3 scratched panels yesterday, no questions asked. They asked me to check the new panels after they had done and they all looked fine.

and - hope you get your panels sorted. The fact my installer replaced my scratched panels without argument suggests that it was the 'right' thing to do and they were aware that scratched panels could suffer problems in the future.

Very pleased - the installation company replaced the 3 scratched panels yesterday, no questions asked. They asked me to check the new panels after they had done and they all looked fine.

and - hope you get your panels sorted. The fact my installer replaced my scratched panels without argument suggests that it was the 'right' thing to do and they were aware that scratched panels could suffer problems in the future.

That company wouldnt be Eco-Fusion by any chance?

Have had the worst one of my nine 'scratched' panels replaced, which I'm happy with.

I'll keep my eye on any degredation around the 'scratches' on the panels to see if it affects the AR coating.

It's difficult to say, but up on the roof it looked like the 'scratches' (caused by aluminium frame of one panel coming into contact witht the glass of another) may be being weathered away.

It was reassuring that REC said such scratches do not affect the 25 year warranty and that they think it unlikely that the AR coating will have been affected.

All in all, I'm just happy to have a nice system on the full FiT rate that I now feel happy about. Am looking forward to sunnier days, though am impressed that it's clocked up nearly 100kW in December!

Good news and!

Wow 100kW in December, mine have only managed to clock up 7kW in about the last 2 weeks (4kW system, SW facing, Manchester)! Does this seem right?

Well, I believe I'm heading for 100kW by the end of December to be more accurate, from 1 Dec to yesterday, it is exactly 86kW.

Sunday 18 Dec, the sun was out = 8.8kW, yesterday it was grey and rainy = 0.5kW.

At the end of the day, it just depends on if the sun is out or not.

As you can see from the above, on a grey winters day, the output is negligable.

I chart my output on:

REC3.92kW 3.920kW

I also look at others outputs in various parts of the UK with similar sized arrays (3.92kW) ... which will be more interesting and relevant come spring and summer when it will be useful to know that my array is generating what it should be by comparing it to others.

Reply to Scratches on PV Panels in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net