Discuss Screwfix trunking Woes in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Yeah but that's CEF, you have to expect them to charge through the nose.

I've had many arguments at the trade counter of a CEF when working for companies daft enough to use them.

Personally I use Wilson's in guildford, they are independant with an ever growing number of branches and have always been good to me.
Exactly. CEF are an unashamed corner shop for electrical parts. They are invariably the nearest when I'm on the road and you pay for that convenience, or well the customer does. Either that or pay my time to go shopping around.

We have multiple accounts but as a rule its CEF when on the road and Rexel for quoted jobs.

For pretty much all my trunking I buy Newlec stuff from Rexel, it all MK stuff and very good.

Yeh and don't bother with screwedfix 20mm conduit. The inner diameter is larger than your pipe spring and kinks on the bend due to this. Waste of money.

I had a moment of weakness a few months ago and tried the Toolstation 25 x 16 trade pack (42731).
Big mistake. At first it seems ok, then you try and fit the lid. Oh my....if you sneeze it comes off until about 80% of it is clipped in.
I still have most of a pack of 20 of this rubbish.

On the plus side, I found one of the lids really good for unblocking a drain, it nicely bends around the U-bend.

I had a moment of weakness a few months ago and tried the Toolstation 25 x 16 trade pack (42731).
Big mistake. At first it seems ok, then you try and fit the lid. Oh my....if you sneeze it comes off until about 80% of it is clipped in.
I still have most of a pack of 20 of this rubbish.

On the plus side, I found one of the lids really good for unblocking a drain, it nicely bends around the U-bend.
As it happens since I was at Toolstation today I bought a 3m length of their 38mm x 25 to compare.

Just from carrying in the van with the slight bend necessary to fit it inside, the sides creased:

2022-09-03 14.57.37.jpg

The lid at least did still fit though, so ended up using a length of that to replace one of the screwfix that I could not get the lid on at all. The TS stuff was a much whiter colour too - still wouldn't use it by choice though. Will have to scope out the local wholesalers.

Not my finest work, but a vast improvement on what was there and with the conduit clips in place secure even if the lids come off...

Not great when you have to fix something done 5 years ago by a registered DI, even before we get to the water bonding that wasn't there despite the tick on the certificate!

2022-09-02 20.08.55.jpg

Reply to Screwfix trunking Woes in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net