Discuss Seeking advice on quote to replace CU in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

spovvers

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all, New homeowner here... hoping it's okay to seek some advice on a quote.
I've recently had some wiring done for a new kitchen in a small 3-bed terrace built in 2001, but we need to replace the aging consumer unit to fit everything in and make it expandable if needed in the future.
I'm very pleased with the work done by the electrician so far, but he's quoting me around £650 to supply, fit, test and certify a new consumer unit which sounds rather a lot to me.
The board he's wanting to fit is £220 (inc vat), which is a lot more than the most expensive ones I can see stocked on most supplier websites. He's telling me he wants to fit a board with all RCBOs instead of RCDs to future-proof it, but is this really necessary? He clearly wants to fit the best / most modern setup, but I'm feeling maybe it's overkill.
Also, does 10 hours to fit, and test a new CU seem reasonable?
Happy to pay this if it's really needed, but it's come as a bit of a shock after several other unpredicted and costly expenditures (unrelated to the electrics).
Thanks.

I've recently had some wiring done for a new kitchen in a small 3-bed terrace built in 2001, but we need to replace the aging consumer unit to fit everything in and make it expandable if needed in the future.
I'm very pleased with the work done by the electrician so far, but he's quoting me around £650 to supply, fit, test and certify a new consumer unit which sounds rather a lot to me.
The board he's wanting to fit is £220 (inc vat), which is a lot more than the most expensive ones I can see stocked on most supplier websites. He's telling me he wants to fit a board with all RCBOs instead of RCDs to future-proof it, but is this really necessary? He clearly wants to fit the best / most modern setup, but I'm feeling maybe it's overkill.
Happy to pay this if it's really needed, but it's come as a bit of a shock after several other unpredicted and costly expenditures (unrelated to the electrics).
Thanks.

It's a good sign if he wants to fit an all RCBO board - this is the much preferred solution these days.

What manufacturer is he quoting for? And will it have a surge protection device fitted?

Oh and welcome to the forum!

It's a good sign if he wants to fit an all RCBO board - this is the much preferred solution these days.

What manufacturer is he quoting for? And will it have a surge protection device fitted?

Oh and welcome to the forum!
Good to know that it IS the preferred solution!
I think the board is Lewden and yes it'll have surge protection.

Good to know that it IS the preferred solution!
I think the board is Lewden and yes it'll have surge protection.

It sounds like you are dealing with someone who is up to date with modern practice, so that's good.

I presume he will issue you with an installation certificate and also handle the part P notification?

It sounds like you are dealing with someone who is up to date with modern practice, so that's good.

I presume he will issue you with an installation certificate and also handle the part P notification?
Yeah he's including certification. I'm not sure about Part P notification but thanks will ask about that.

That's certainly the right ball-park for a good job and a decent consumer unit. For a domestic CU change I tell people between it's usually between £600 and £800 over the phone, with the caveat that I'll need to check things are basically ok before starting and any significant faults (such as a broken ring circuit or measurements showing a damaged/wet cable) will need to be sorted before we proceed.

It's truly in your interests to get an RCBO board. I haven't fitted anything else for several years.
The alternative dual-RCD type detects cumulative earth leakage (electricity going the wrong way) as opposed to looking at each circuit individually for problems. This has several consequences:
-lots of modern electronic appliances have some earth leakage and it can add up around a house, and taking a cumulative measurement can lead to it deciding there's a fault when there isn't, or making it prone to nuisance tripping.
-any fault on any of the circuits will turn off at least 50% of them. ( I recently attended a house where a cooker fault was preventing them using upstairs sockets, downstairs lighting and the boiler.)
-any future diagnosis of a fault can take a lot longer.

Doing it 'right' and 'well' is a more involved job that one might expect; testing before and afterwards and doing the paperwork can sometimes take as long as actually changing the consumer unit!

That's certainly the right ball-park for a good job and a decent consumer unit. For a domestic CU change I tell people between it's usually between £600 and £800 over the phone, with the caveat that I'll need to check things are basically ok before starting and any significant faults (such as a broken ring circuit or measurements showing a damaged/wet cable) will need to be sorted before we proceed.

It's truly in your interests to get an RCBO board. I haven't fitted anything else for several years.
The alternative dual-RCD type detects cumulative earth leakage (electricity going the wrong way) as opposed to looking at each circuit individually for problems. This has several consequences:
-lots of modern electronic appliances have some earth leakage and it can add up around a house, and taking a cumulative measurement can lead to it deciding there's a fault when there isn't, or making it prone to nuisance tripping.
-any fault on any of the circuits will turn off at least 50% of them. ( I recently attended a house where a cooker fault was preventing them using upstairs sockets, downstairs lighting and the boiler.)
-any future diagnosis of a fault can take a lot longer.

Doing it 'right' and 'well' is a more involved job that one might expect; testing before and afterwards and doing the paperwork can sometimes take as long as actually changing the consumer unit!
Thank you so much. Really helpful to get a second opinion. Sounds like it's all good then. :)

I am around £900-£1000 for a 10-12 way full Rcbo board with SPD , new meter tails etc etc
All tested , notified , any problems I will come back and sort out.

There are blokes I know who will throw in BG screwfix dual rcd carp , for around £500 cash in hand. but you will get no certificate , no building notification and no workmanship guarantee

You pays your money you makes your choice

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks.
As with other comments, assuming all was OK with the existing electrical installation and remedial works to it weren't required, I'd be looking at £650 for a replacement DB with a "normal" number of circuits connected to it. (If there were an exceptional number of circuits then obviously a bit higher.)

I'd say that's a very fair price - a lot of people also don't realise that a good and properly registered Electrician has considerable overheads to cover, I'd suggest more than any other trade. 10 hours for thorough testing, the actual CU replacement and the certification is also realistic and I'd say pretty efficient, particularly if he's working alone.

£650 is an extremely good price in my opinion especially if your electricians work is good. A full day seems about right too. In all honesty there couldn’t be a huge amount of circuits as 650 wouldn’t cover more then 6/7 circuits if I was doing it. If you are happy with his work, I’d say you should go with it.

Reply to Seeking advice on quote to replace CU in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net