Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Selling a home without electrical certificates in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. diditrain

diditrain Electrician's Arms

A homeowner is planning on selling their home, but they have carried out electrical works without notifying building control.
    Is there a set procedure that they now must follow, i.e. do they now have to get in touch with building control and explain the situation to them and see what they say or can they just have an E.I.C.R carried out?
    I have been asked this question but I was not 100% sure. thank`s

2. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    usually a EICR will do, they would however need to check with the buyer's solicitors to see what's acceptable.

3. Ian1981

Ian1981 Electrician's Arms

I did electrical installation work in my home , sold it and never produced an electrical installation certificate of any kind :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Leesparkykent

Leesparkykent You Rock Gmes Staff Member Trusted Advisor

They want to hope it isn't picked up in a survey that electrical work has been carried out. If it isn't obvious then if I was them I wouldnt stir the nest.

If it is picked up then it's a bit off a ball ache....Builing control might be satisfied with an EICR from a CPS member but only they can only confirm this.

If I was building control I would stick two fingers up and say tough luck....It would stop people letting chancers loose on their electrics or the appalling DIY attempts we find if they couldnt sell their home.

• Agree Agree x 6
  5. Ian1981

Ian1981 Electrician's Arms

Sometimes it's down to the buyer to decide on how much is covered in the survey they pay for when buying the house ,so they may or may not ask for any electrical certificates or a EICR

I recall it was in a questionnaire I had to fill out as the seller asking if any electrical work had been carried out in the last 10 years and any associated certificates but I said no :)
    I had done it 5 years previous to selling so it wasn't obvious

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

It all depends on what the buyers solicitors ask for and the declarations made by the seller...

7. Des 56

Des 56 Trusted Advisor

Situations like this expose why Part P of the buildings regulations is on the whole a complete and utter expensive waste of time and effort

A item,in this case a house,is up for sale,the prospective buyer has 2 choices,buy or don't buy

If they want assurances about the electrics a eicr on the whole will satisfy the purchasers solicitor,if he is pushing for a part P certificate of notification and the seller is unable to provide,the seller can just remove the prospective buyer from the equation
    The solicitor is never going to endanger the prospective purchase for his client where a eicr is or can be provided

8. diditrain

I thought that was the case. They have not put the place on the market yet, but I think they are now trying to cover all avenues in preparation. They obviously new what they should have done but failed to do it. I think it is a relationship breakup that is driving the sale.

9. Gavin John Hyde

Gavin John Hyde the lights are on but nobody is home

Business Name:
    Sulis Electrical Services
    you can get an indemnity insurance policy arranged through sellers solicitors that will cover the house and electrics in the event it doesn't comply with regulations or needs fixing... there are various types such as seller says it complies but no certificates, so buyer carries on and subsequently finds building control wish to pursue some sort of action as it is non compliant ... then the policy would cover the buyer and pay out for remedial work if needed... In my area if you notify building control outside the normal methods then its the same cost plus i think 10% on top the normal fees... the indemnity policies cost around £100 and paid for by the seller to protect buyer. just speak to solicitors as most insurers or brokers wont deal with you direct and the solicitor will know what type to obtain and how to word the terms to cover everybody's backside in the event of a jobsworth in building control.
    The solicitors i have used previously always went to aviva for the policies but others are out there.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. diditrain

That`s great, thank`s very much.

11. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

Indemnity insurance have received some bad press in recent years. There is a time limit on enforcement action, that can be taken by the council.

If it were me, I'd get an EICR done, rectify any faults, then I would have a certificate to produce for the conveyancing process.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1