Discuss short overhead cable height - house to garage in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

colinpost

DIY
Reaction score
I'm in the process of installing Catenary Cables to support 2x SWA and 2x cat5e cables, over a distance of a small distance of 1.5m.

The cable entry hole at the garage is 2.30m high and the house cable exit hole is just under 3.0m high.

Below the supported cable is the garden gate/door and walk pathway - so no space for a car to drive through !

Can i get away with with 2.3m high cable support, if not could i physically fix cables on top the 2m high gate/door via the timber strutting the frame posts (as it was since the1960s !) ?

I'm in the process of installing Catenary Cables to support 2x SWA and 2x cat5e cables, over a distance of a small distance of 1.5m.

The cable entry hole at the garage is 2.30m high and the house cable exit hole is just under 3.0m high.

Below the supported cable is the garden gate/door and walk pathway - so no space for a car to drive through !

Can i get away with with 2.3m high cable support, if not could i physically fix cables on top the 2m high gate/door via the timber strutting the frame posts (as it was since the1960s !) ?
Not qualified but Table d2 from the OSG States a minimum height of 3.5meters. this won't meet the regs.

The heights mainly apply to special locations. There’s no regulation for domestic properties so it’s basically common sense. If a vehicle physically can’t pass underneath then make sure that it’s above the touch height of the highest person likely to walk under it and make sure to support the cable properly on the catenary.

Think of it another way. If you lived in a bungalow you’d never achieve the 3.5m mentioned above.

Reply to short overhead cable height - house to garage in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi all. I've recently bought a bungalow. It currently has a armoured cable between the house and garage which spans less than 1 meter. The height...
Replies
Views
Hi all, First post here, hope I'm compliant with the rules! I did do a quick search before asking this, but I couldn't quite come up with the...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am currently considering the best way to go about this job for a customer who wants garage power wiring from an overhead supply cable (to...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone new to the site. I have read other threads on this but still a bit unsure. I have been asked to wire a supply to a mates garage and i...
Replies
Views
jacksongroup
J
L
Hi All, a customer asked me to look at his supply to the garage which had been installed by previous owners. The garage is approximately 2 maybe 3...
Replies
Views
LeighSawczyn
L

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock