Discuss Should Scottish Government delay new smoke detector law in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Should this be delayed?

• Total voters
We had the 20mph introduced in Scottish Borders a year ago…
“Every town, village and built up area”

Took the council weeks to change the signage from 30 to 20, and 40 to 30 in some places.

Then, 6 months later… they decided some small places didn’t deserve the 20, and reverted them back to 30…. Using brand new signs!
Where was all the old ones?
The old ones are still up in some places near us.

Approach a road from one direction and it's a 30, Approach from almost all other directions and it's 20!

Then the side roads still have the reduction to 20 from this main (now already 20) road!

It's no wonder people get frustrated, so many miss the 20 sign, then all the indications are it's a 30 as standard and get annoyed at people "only doing 20 in a 30"

Interesting to see this thread raising some valuable points.
I won't repeat what has been said before, but i can confirm that I have received multiple requests for quotes to do installations to the new Scottish regs and the last 3 have all been driven by the clients concern over possible problems with insurance claims...rather than just keeping them safe.

My 2 most recent are in flats nearby, which are either 2 or 3 bed, and basically all these flats need the same minimum of a heat and 2 smokes, there being no gas installed and no other fuel-burning appliance. Of course, when installed, the 3 detectors are within 3 metres of each other, and in some cases you can actually see them all!

The residents are all reasonably well-to-do and savvy, and while a raised eyebrow is usual, the basic cost of £255 for Aico units is not an issue. This excludes fitting and commissioning and issuing a certificate, obviously. It's above the much touted figure the Scottish Government have postulated, and the latest 3 bed house i quoted for is coming in at £400 to match the minimum standard. I suggested extras, which I personally would have, but to no avail.

As word spreads throughout this local flatted development I am expecting many more enquiries, and of course they will all expect the same cost.

Thus, I learn now that my usual supplier, Safelincs, now offer these:

Anyone used them?
I have painted myself into a corner with Aico, as these HiSpec are much cheaper.
If I spec these cheaper ones, my previous clients might be a tad miffed...

On the other hand, I've never had a call back to an Aico unit. Thus, just wondering if any of you have any experience of the HiSpec units. I see availability is far from instant.

My gut reaction is to continue to spec Aico, but give the client the option to choose the cheaper units, and I'll fit them as usual.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

I’ve seen those hispec, and I tell customers they are new to market, I don’t have any idea on how reliable they are.

Aico have been around for years, and many of the ones I’m upgrading are already Aico.
And I’m listed as an Aico installer…. So I won’t be changing.

Have already been turned down a couple of times as being too expensive.

Reply to Should Scottish Government delay new smoke detector law in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock