Discuss Shower MCB question after electrician installed new Consumer Unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Do the shower MCBs ever Trip?
Hi, no they never trip and we have had nearly 4 years with this setup and not a single problem.
The consumer unit was installed back in Aug 2016. The shower units remain the same.
The shower duration is reasonable, especially since we do have 2 children so the showers do get well used.
[automerge]1595494173[/automerge]
It's not OK to leave it as-is with the 32A MCBs.
Sounds like the electrician should not have installed this with 32A MCB's then?
[automerge]1595494253[/automerge]
Shouldnt one of these be fitted to stop both showers being run at once and causing a big bang
To be fair I don't think we have ever run both showers at the same time.
Presume the electrician would have catered for this when he tested the house back in 2016.

Presume the electrician would have catered for this when he tested the house back in 2016.

Given he has fitted undersized MCBs, Probably not!

Your two showers would take around 37A and 41A respectively, as you can see both are above the 32A of the MCB so the MCBs should be changed.

If you run both showers together it's around 78A, most houses are fitted with a 60A fuse (sometimes 80A) and even the electric meter itself is only rated to 80A usually.

So you really don't want to use both together - especially as you are likely to have other loads such as lighting, hairdryers, cooker/oven, central heating etc. This all could take you well over the fuse rating and potentially result in having to get the DNO (Electric board) out to change the fuse.

Given he has fitted undersized MCBs, Probably not!

Your two showers would take around 37A and 41A respectively, as you can see both are above the 32A of the MCB so the MCBs should be changed.

If you run both showers together it's around 78A, most houses are fitted with a 60A fuse (sometimes 80A) and even the electric meter itself is only rated to 80A usually.

So you really don't want to use both together - especially as you are likely to have other loads such as lighting, hairdryers, cooker/oven, central heating etc. This all could take you well over the fuse rating and potentially result in having to get the DNO (Electric board) out to change the fuse.

So a poor job from that electrician then! Disappointing from someone in the trade :(
The report shows it being signed off by a supervisor too!

Seems like there is a bit of a conflict from answers too so my confusion remains.

So a poor job from that electrician then! Disappointing from someone in the trade :(
The report shows it being signed off by a supervisor too!

Seems like there is a bit of a conflict from answers too so my confusion remains.

I must be missing something, where is the conflict in answers?

All the posts I see are indicating that the MCBs should be changed, although it isn't dangerous as is.

Do the shower MCBs ever Trip?
How many MCBs does the shower have then?

All the posts I see are indicating that the MCBs should be changed, although it isn't dangerous as is.
HV Approved person, what is that Julie? is that the same as a HV Authorised Person?

I've read above and some are saying it's not ok to leave as is, and another answer was it was safe as is.
The MCB's will protect for short circuit faults.

Remember, I am just an end user here and the installation in 2016 was completed by an electrical contractor (with, from what I can see, has a good reputation), so in all honesty I am no further on now than I was before I started this thread :)

Reply to Shower MCB question after electrician installed new Consumer Unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net