Discuss Simple clarification on qualifications needed to become an Electrician. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Stu Whyley

Hi, and thank you for answering this question. Apologies in advance for lack of knowledge in your field.

I am currently looking into doing a part time course in order to become an Electrician, however on looking into it there seems to be 1001 ways to get there and they all say they are the best. Plus all these NVQ, C and G and EAL numbers mean nothing to me. I left school at 16, joined the forces and now work in the public sector, I have GCSE's and a mickey mouse level 2 NVQ in Performing Engineering operations which I got in the forces for doing a bit of soldering and using a voltmeter so I am a complete beginner to this. I want to become an electrician for two reason, 1) earn money 2) as a back up plan if I find myself out of the public sector. When I decide to do this I will need to fit my training in around my full time job whereby I work shifts so the training will need to be flexible, length I spend training is not an issue.

Can anyone please give me an idea on what qualifications I will need to achieve and in your opinion what would be the best way to train, I have looked at a few options already, evening college classes and a distance learning programme but I am open to any advice you can give me as I have no idea where to start. I have read numerous threads already but all I see is arguments on the case that "your either a sparkie or your not", again this means nothing to me.

I am fully aware that hands on experience is vital in your trade, this would be something I would look at once I start the basics. In the mean time are there any books I can get to give me an idea of what to expect.

Many Thanks for your time and I look forward to any answers.

Its a hard trade to "break into" as its no 5 min qualification period (allthough some companies would have you believe otherwise)

Ime not sure of the numbers anymore as they keep changing but basicly you need the following:

C&G Electrical Installation
C&G 17th ed Wiring Regs
C&G Inspection and Testing

Get them and you are laughing, About 3-4 years worth there (3 for the Installation course and maybe a extra for the other 2 even though they are short courses)

You also may want to do a NVQ3 which has to be done on the job.

After you have done the first part of your installation course see if you can get some work (paid or otherwise) as a mate or assistant to help get practical experience and go towards NVQ3 if you decide to do it.

do not waste your money on any course that says you can be an electrician in 5 weeks. 3 years at college, either 1 day a week or 2 evenings) courses to research are c&g 2356, 2357, am2 and nvq3. followed by 2394 and 2395.( both these are inspection and testing )

Reply to Simple clarification on qualifications needed to become an Electrician. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net