Discuss Sizing and renting a 3 phase generator in Wales (in the UK) in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

As you've probably discovered, these units are something of a compromise. They deliver somewhat lopsided 3-phase which can result in reduced motor performance, depending on how well the load selector matches the actual motor in use.

You will need to change the plug on the lathe as the PC60 has a 4-pin output. There is no particular reason to think that the neutral pin in the existing plug has been used; often a 5-pin plug is fitted for compatibility. But if there is a digital readout or other 230V single-phase load piggybacked on the motor supply using one line and the neutral, that must be disconnected. According to the lathe circuit diagram, the contactor supply is connected between L1 and L3 as required by the PC60. IME this cannot be taken for granted and if someone has reversed L2 & L3 in the junction box for example (to correct the rotation) the machine will not operate until you rearrange the lines. The worklight appears to use L2 and probably won't illuminate with the machine at rest.
Thanks Lucien! Saved me buying a PC60 that also won't work, most likely! Powering this lathe for a short test is getting beyond a joke, seems my only route is renting a generator that I'll also need to rent a van to tow it with, and even then risk getting it to site to find out whatever the next thing is that prevents it being right for this application. I'm leaning towards letting this lathe go, getting into the property and buying a more known entity and having the power needs met by a qualified electrician, matched to a machine I own and is tested. Might even opt for a Myford 7 with single phase.

Thanks for your help @Lucien Nunes and @James!

Depending on your budget, this might be an option.
it is likley to be a lot less than having 3 phase installed and will double up as a standby generator when you Have a power cut.

p.s. It is what I have at home as both a standby AutoStart backup for power cuts (rural location where it happens often)
also it serves as my 3 phase supply when working on 3 phase equipment that I am building or testing.

p.s. It is what I have at home as both a standby AutoStart backup for power cuts (rural location where it happens often)
also it serves as my 3 phase supply when working on 3 phase equipment that I am building or testing.
Thanks James, that may well be my best bet. I'm expecting to have a fairly simple task getting 3 phase into the building as there's a pole nearby, but given my luck I reckon this is a good back up, and the added bonus of power backup too... yeh, attractive.

Reply to Sizing and renting a 3 phase generator in Wales (in the UK) in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net