Discuss Smart Switch wiring in UK in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Mario_K

Hi,

I've recently purchased Sonoff Touch smart switch to fit in my kitchen. Once received and while looking for some extra info about it, I found many posts from people in UK reporting issues with smart switch connections, due to the lack of neutral cable. After reading some more I've learned that neutral cable is required to keep WiFi module up all the time, which makes sense. I've decided to check my wiring, removed existing kitchen switch and found 3 blue cables, although I'm not sure if that can be used, and if it does, which one of them? I live in building raised around 10 years ago (not sure if that matters, but saying just in case). I've attached picture of this wiring. Any help would be much appreciated.

switch.jpg

the 3 blues in the choc block are all neutrals. the permanent L should be the 2 browns together in the switch terminal. if your new switch is metal, then the green/yellows should connect to the earth terminal on the switch easiest way is to add a fly lead from the back box earth terminal, making sure that all earthing conductors are securely terminated.

Hi telectix,

Thanks for a quick reply. Switch itself is plastic. Does it mean I can use any of neutral and leave other two in the choc block?

you must leave all 3 neutrals in the choc block and add your N link to them. otherwise you'll break the circuit and rest of lights after this one won't work and also leave a potentially dangerous situation in that several neutral conductors will become "live".

You have what's called loop in at the switch. Perfect for home automation setups. I can highly recommend the fibaro system if you plan on doing any more home automation.

As said earlier, don't disconnect what you have, just use fly leads from the appropriate terminals if required.

Reply to Smart Switch wiring in UK in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net