Discuss Smoke alarms/heat alarms in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi looking for a bit of advise, I am working on a house where the internal walls have been removed creating an open space where the kitchen and living spaces are all one downstairs. My question is is it acceptable to put a nest protect system in . One on the ground floor and one upstairs or should there also be a heat alarm in the kitchen which Nest do not do. They stipulate that their alarm must be at least 3 metres from a heat source. Other jobs I have done I have put a heat detector in the kitchen and smoke detectors in the living area and one upstairs all interlinked, but this is not possible with Nest. Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi Guys, Thanks for your replies. The Nest smoke alarm is a smoke and Co detector, wireless and wifi linked to your device. They are very good but not sure of the legalities of just having one in the living space. Tried reading the government documents on the subject and felt that life was too short to wade through pages of waffle.

Hi Guys, Thanks for your replies. The Nest smoke alarm is a smoke and Co detector, wireless and wifi linked to your device. They are very good but not sure of the legalities of just having one in the living space. Tried reading the government documents on the subject and felt that life was too short to wade through pages of waffle.

Are building control involved ?

Hi - Nest claim compliance to BS 50291-1 (CO) and 14604 (Smoke) so the unit should be ok to use. Looking at the IET guide a heat alarm is shown in the kitchen of LD2 systems. So it's going to be up to the Buildings folks as to whether they will be ok with the smoke alarm in the kitchen. I think the alarm will work ok, but false alarms are more likely - and folks are more likely to disable them :(.

Hi, I have just read a easier to understand regs page on the internet. It states that if the kitchen is open to the living area i.e. no door then there must be a heat sensor in the kitchen. I think this puts Nest out as they state that their alarm cannot be any closer than 3 metres to a source of heat i.e. hob or oven. This would put it outside of the kitchen which defeats the object of the exercise. Thanks for all your help guys much appreciated.

Or the Spanish inquisition nobody expected that except on here. Yes building control are involved and I have just spoken to the customer and told them that they are having heat alarm in the kitchen smoke alarm in the living area and upstairs all wireleely connected.

Or the Spanish inquisition nobody expected that except on here. Yes building control are involved and I have just spoken to the customer and told them that they are having heat alarm in the kitchen smoke alarm in the living area and upstairs all wireleely connected.

The reason I persisted with this is because the BCO has the final say ..... we all have opinions , but they don’t matter once Mr BCO has stated what he will accept .......and sometimes Mr Customer and / or Mr Spark don’t like it but they do have the final say ...

Reply to Smoke alarms/heat alarms in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net