Discuss So who’s done their 2396? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HND is a good route to take. it's highly theoretical though. a lot of complex maths, as i can remember i struggled with. mind you, that was before calculators were invented, a slide rule was the height of technology, digital referred to your fingers and toes, and test equipment had valves in.

HND is a good route to take. it's highly theoretical though. a lot of complex maths, as i can remember i struggled with. mind you, that was before calculators were invented, a slide rule was the height of technology, digital referred to your fingers and toes, and test equipment had valves in.
So you have your hnd then? How long did it take and what sort of opportunity’s did it open up? What sort of positions were you applying for and for what sort of price range?

took 3 years, 6 months college and 6 months supposed to be practical learning in industry, but used as cheap labour on factory floor. then given a boring office job trying to make employers generators attain specified efficiencies. left after 6 months, disillusioned and went into r&d small motors in lab.then thought sod this 8 -5 crap, went into TV repairs with a couple of companies, then into alarms, electrical, etc. waste of a HND really, but could never find rewarding employment unless i was prepared to relocate into bandit country ( south of Brum).

I’m shocked to be honest. You sound like someone who knows exactly what they’re talking about and to back it up you had the hnd qualification? Was there a complete shortage of work around you? What do you do now if you don’t mind me asking?

no suitable employment in Staffs, at the time. i enrolled with job centre professional register in 1970, still waiting for them to send me any job details. now self-employed electrician/alarm installer. anything going. but @ 71 with bad back and knees, , winding down a bit.

no suitable employment in Staffs, at the time. i enrolled with job centre professional register in 1970, still waiting for them to send me any job details. now self-employed electrician/alarm installer. anything going. but @ 71 with bad back and knees, , winding down a bit.
Good on you mate. Still going strong. I’ll be happy just to make it to your age let alone still be working. Thats my reasons for wanting to go into design, my knees and other joints are not too bad at the minute so I want to try keep them that way. Meet too many older sparkies who’s bodies are ravaged from the job.

Did the five day intensive then took another two weeks off at home doing the project all day every day, using the Guidance Notes and 17th Edition.

Then I met someone who has never worked a day as an electrician or had any electrical qualifications but was well paid doing Design work using a fancy computer system

Did the five day intensive then took another two weeks off at home doing the project all day every day, using the Guidance Notes and 17th Edition.

Then I met someone who has never worked a day as an electrician or had any electrical qualifications but was well paid doing Design work using a fancy computer system
Yes mate it’s annoying but you don’t actually need any electrical qualifications to be a designer. You will need to work alongside an engineer though. But if you have the electrical qualifications AND the autocad/revit expertise you are then a design engineer and can do both jobs. Which I’m counting on equating to more money.

How did you find the 2396? Any advice?

How did you find the 2396? Any advice?

Reply to So who’s done their 2396? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net