Discuss socket heights(Scotland) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I am looking for some advice regarding socket and switch heights in an extension where the 2 bedrooms have been extended and some of the existing sockets kept and the switch kept. Basically the building inspector has pulled the new socket heights up and I asked him to relax this as it is an extension and document m doesn't apply, but he has said document m doesn't apply in Scotland!! Any hard facts would be greatly appreciated.

This may help

Scottish Technical hand book Section 4 safety
Standard 4.6
Every building must be designed and constructed in such a way that electric
lighting points and socket outlets are provided to ensure the health, safety and
convenience of occupants and visitors.
4.6.4 Socket outlets
Current lifestyle places a greater demand on electrical installations, with the increase in use
of electrical appliances. Connection of multiple appliances into a socket outlet through an
adapter can lead to overheating and the risk of fire. Similarly, use of extension leads can
create a trip hazard.
To reduce these risks, a dwelling should be provided with at least the following number of
13A socket outlets:
• 4 within each apartment and
• 6 within the kitchen, at least 3 of which should be situated above worktop level in
addition to any outlets provided for floor-standing white goods or built-in appliances and
• an additional 4 anywhere in the dwelling, including at least 1 within each circulation
area on a level or storey.
Sockets may be installed as single or double outlets, to give the recommended number of
outlets in each space.

4.8.5 Access to manual controls
The location of a manual control device can have a significant effect on both the ease of
operation of the device and safety in use. Positions that are inaccessible present a greater
risk of accident when bending or reaching. Any control that is intended for operation by the
occupants of a building should be installed in position that allows safe and convenient use.
This guidance is applicable to manual controls to openable ventilators, including windows
and rooflights and to controls and outlets of electrical fixtures located on a wall or other
vertical surface. Unless incorporating a restrictor or other protective device for safety
reasons, controls should be operable with one hand.
Electrical fixtures - outlets and controls of electrical fixtures and systems should be
positioned at least 350mm from any internal corner, projecting wall or similar obstruction
and, unless the need for a higher location can be demonstrated, not more than 1.2m above
floor level. This would include fixtures such as sockets, switches, fire alarm call points and
timer controls or programmers. Within this height range:
• light switches should be positioned at a height of between 900mm and 1.1m above floor
level
• standard switched or unswitched socket outlets and outlets for other services such as
telephone or television should be positioned at least 400mm above floor level. Above an
obstruction, such as a worktop, fixtures should be at least 150mm above the projecting
surface
Where sockets are concealed, such as to the rear of white goods in a kitchen, separate
switching should be provided in an accessible position, to allow appliances to be isolated.

my understanding is that the socket heights for access are for new build not for existing. as you've only extended the rooms not built new they can stay at the same height.

Reply to socket heights(Scotland) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net