Discuss Socket inside a En Suite Vainty Unit??? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
So this was an interesting conversation today and wanted peoples advice.

Plumber asked me if I could fit a socket inside an enSuite Vainty unit. I asked why and he said the customer had bought a japanese toilet (the ones with the air, water and lights ect)

Japanese toilet is off a cable with a built in RCD.

There is a socket in the room next door so I wanted to chase out, run the cable next door and wire a fused Spur off a socket to clear any issues with zones.

Plumber said the customer doesnt want that he wants a socket in the vanity unit and the cable for the toilet wiring to a plug. He thinks becuase its under a sink in a cupboard its classed as outside zone.

While it is outside zone the regs state "Electrical sockets are permitted in bathrooms or shower rooms as long as they are located more than 3m from the edge of the bath or shower. Specially designed shaver units are an exception to this rule and can be located slightly nearer, but still no closer than 600mm from the bath or shower."

Thoughts??

Shaver sockets are permitted in zone 2.
A vanity unit would not meet the requirements to be outside the zones and therefore a socket outlet would only be compliant if the unit was >3m from the boundary of zone 1. A 'built' room such as an airing cupboard with a door within a bathroom is deemed to be outside the zones and limits the extent of the special location, in the same way as the door into the bathroom separates the special location from the area outside of it.

Stand your ground, you know it's wrong, We know it's wrong.

When the coroner calls you up to testify because there 16 year old used the socket to charge there phone or plug in there hair curlers and use them whilst in the bath,

how do you imagine the conversation going?

Just fit an MK T earth socket and plug problem is solved
He has a plug and socket but he can't repurpose it for any other appliance

Lol, I am not sure if I would want to sit on a 230 volt toilet.
ITs this. I really dont get it but since telling the wife she now wants one.

Customer / Plumber (I think the plumber is using the customer to get his point accross) now saying the compromise would be a FCU in the vanity unit, imo thats still a no no (I know there are exceptions with FCU with rear cable entry) but for me If Im doing that Id rather just a normal FCU in the room next door as Im still chasing the wall out either way.

If the house is that cold that you need a heated seat then you want to get your heating fixed!

ITs this. I really dont get it but since telling the wife she now wants one.

Customer / Plumber (I think the plumber is using the customer to get his point accross) now saying the compromise would be a FCU in the vanity unit, imo thats still a no no (I know there are exceptions with FCU with rear cable entry) but for me If Im doing that Id rather just a normal FCU in the room next door as Im still chasing the wall out either way.
It does say in the instructions to be fitted with a 13 amp fused spur.
If you are not happy with the environment in terms of the compliance with the current regs then stick to your guns..

Reply to Socket inside a En Suite Vainty Unit??? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net