Discuss Sockets keep tripping in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Thank you for all of the replies and advice - It has been very helpful and yes I am going to get an electrician in to investigate and change any required sockets.

Re the wet wipe incident when I was shocked, it wasn't until yesterday reading your replies that I ever considered it may be a problem or fault with the actual socket itself. I just blamed myself as being my fault, as it was me who had a (slightly damp) wet wipe in my hand, and it was me who touched the socket and accidentally switched the switch on as I touched the socket.

Although saying that, the "premonition" I had before even touching the socket, when I was standing a few feet away is strange. And the socket switch was off at that point.... It was like some kind of invisible electrical charge attached to my thumb (and the wet wipe) when I was a few feet away from the socket. I can't actually remember if that incident tripped the electrics or not.

I do not use that socket for anything and it now has plastic plug protectors plugged in. If it had the plastic plug protectors in previously, would that have prevented me getting the shock?

As for the fitted dishwasher fuse blowing, that happened more recently. Again I think that was my fault as I think it blew due to water being splashed on the fuse socket on the wall when I was unloading glasses out of the dishwasher. I dried the fuse switch and replaced with another fuse, but obviously didn't dry the fuse switch properly, as when I switched it back on there was a loud bang and black smoke coming out of the fuse socket.

The 13A fuse has now been removed and the dishwasher has not been used since then, until I can get an electrician to fix the socket.

As for the moisture behind the plastic plug protector, which I assume was the problem of the electrics tripping, as since drying that the problem seems to have resolved - I can only assume the moisture came from me cleaning the skirting boards, and maybe I wiped over the plastic plug protector too, and moisture somehow tracked behind the plastic protector.

The plastic plug protectors have a normal length top prong and the 2 lower prongs are shorter. I am still confused, could you confirm if a plastic plug protector is plugged in, and the socket switch is off, is that socket live at all with any electricity? Or would it only become "live" with any charge running through it if the socket switch was switched on?

I understand why some people do not like the plastic plug protectors as they can be turned upside down by toddlers etc, but I don't have a toddler who could do that, so just trying to understand if they are safer to use to prevent any shock from water contact?.... When I had the electric shock before having the plug protectors, that was probably the equivalent of a toddler touching a socket with a wet finger, but wondering if the plastic plug protector would have prevented the shock I received?
Water ingress shouldn’t cause a bang as the resistance/impedance is to high.

Some socket outlets have a shutter mechanism that won’t open until all 3 progs are used.

IMO the plastic protectors are a waste of time especially where water ingress comes into play as the water will take longer to evaporate.

You need to get an electrician in.

Water ingress shouldn’t cause a bang as the resistance/impedance is to high.

Some socket outlets have a shutter mechanism that won’t open until all 3 progs are used.

IMO the plastic protectors are a waste of time especially where water ingress comes into play as the water will take longer to evaporate.

You need to get an electrician in.

The dishwasher fuse switch was visibly wet, so I can only assume that is what the problem was.

So not all UK modern sockets have a safety shutter mechanism then?

I see what you mean about the plastic protectors, but I would prefer the electrics to trip, instead of receiving a nasty electric shock. The potentially dodgy socket that did give me a shock, if I had had a plastic plug protect plugged in that socket at the time, would that have prevented the shock?

Honestly, get rid of the plastic plug-in protectors. They aren't needed and, as you can see from the link that someone posted earlier, they do have issues.

Modern 13A sockets all have shutter mechanisms.

And the 'premonition' is a complete red herring. A bit of confirmation bias maybe - not linked to your electrical system in any way.

I would say go easy with wet wipes around switches etc though. I know you said it was fairly dry though.

The dishwasher fuse switch was visibly wet, so I can only assume that is what the problem was.

So not all UK modern sockets have a safety shutter mechanism then?

I see what you mean about the plastic protectors, but I would prefer the electrics to trip, instead of receiving a nasty electric shock. The potentially dodgy socket that did give me a shock, if I had had a plastic plug protect plugged in that socket at the time, would that have prevented the shock?

All 13A sockets manufactured to BS1363 (nothing else should be available for sale in the UK) have safety shutters, but some exceed that standard.

If water caused the shock I don't think an unnecessary protector, which keeps shutters open and may trap water, is the answer.

Honestly, get rid of the plastic plug-in protectors. They aren't needed and, as you can see from the link that someone posted earlier, they do have issues.

Modern 13A sockets all have shutter mechanisms.

And the 'premonition' is a complete red herring. A bit of confirmation bias maybe - not linked to your electrical system in any way.

I would say go easy with wet wipes around switches etc though. I know you said it was fairly dry though.

I disagree about the confirmation bias. The pain in the thumb was very real before I went near the socket, and the shock went straight though my thumb in the exact same place. I must have some kind of psychic ability.

If they all have safety shutter mechanisms, how did I receive a shock when nothing at all was plugged into the socket?

For the avoidance of doubt:

We know of three separate issues in your home. Regardless of whether or not water is the common denominator, I implore you to stop seeking answers on the internet and get an electrician in as this situation is potentially lethal.

Whether you had a premonition or not is of no relevance whatsoever. It doesn't matter. Not one iota. Forget about irrelevant questions - it won't matter who is right if the next shock is lethal.

All 13A sockets manufactured to BS1363 (nothing else should be available for sale in the UK) have safety shutters, but some exceed that standard.

If water caused the shock I don't think an unnecessary protector, which keeps shutters open and may trap water, is the answer.

I am going to get an electrician to investigate and replace any required sockets, but after that shock, I still feel safer having plastic plug protectors in any unused sockets and in this case I think that might have prevented the shock I received.

I am going to get an electrician to investigate and replace any required sockets, but after that shock, I still feel safer having plastic plug protectors in any unused sockets and in this case I think that might have prevented the shock I received.

They will do more harm than good, and they won't prevent electric shocks.

You've asked this question several times and all responses suggest that keeping those protectors in place isn't a good idea.

I've stated my position, along with an explanation of that position, and it's not up for debate. We can provide advice, but can not force your hand, so it's up to you whether you feel they should remain in place against all professional advice.

I'm out, but sincerely hope you can return to post a satisfactory and safe conclusion to your electrical woes in the near future.

For the avoidance of doubt:

We know of three separate issues in your home. Regardless of whether or not water is the common denominator, I implore you to stop seeking answers on the internet and get an electrician in as this situation is potentially lethal.

Whether you had a premonition or not is of no relevance whatsoever. It doesn't matter. Not one iota. Forget about irrelevant questions - it won't matter who is right if the next shock is lethal.

Thank you - I do appreciate what you are saying.

I have never had an electric shock before.

I am just trying to make sense of how plug sockets in general and plastic plug protectors work, as I have never experienced this before.

I had previously just blamed myself, but I think after reading the replies on here the socket that gave me the shock is probably a bit dodgy.

I will update when an electrician has been.

Many Thanks

You've asked this question several times and all responses suggest that keeping those protectors in place isn't a good idea.

I've stated my position, along with an explanation of that position, and it's not up for debate. We can provide advice, but can not force your hand, so it's up to you whether you feel they should remain in place against all professional advice.

I'm out, but sincerely hope you can return to post a satisfactory and safe conclusion to your electrical woes in the near future.

Thank you, but the bad shock I received was before any plastic plug protectors were purchased.

I have not received any electric shock as a result of any plastic plug protectors being used.

Thank you for all of the replies and advice - It has been very helpful and yes I am going to get an electrician in to investigate and change any required sockets.

Re the wet wipe incident when I was shocked, it wasn't until yesterday reading your replies that I ever considered it may be a problem or fault with the actual socket itself. I just blamed myself as being my fault, as it was me who had a (slightly damp) wet wipe in my hand, and it was me who touched the socket and accidentally switched the switch on as I touched the socket.

Although saying that, the "premonition" I had before even touching the socket, when I was standing a few feet away is strange. And the socket switch was off at that point.... It was like some kind of invisible electrical charge attached to my thumb (and the wet wipe) when I was a few feet away from the socket. I can't actually remember if that incident tripped the electrics or not.

I do not use that socket for anything and it now has plastic plug protectors plugged in. If it had the plastic plug protectors in previously, would that have prevented me getting the shock?

As for the fitted dishwasher fuse blowing, that happened more recently. Again I think that was my fault as I think it blew due to water being splashed on the fuse socket on the wall when I was unloading glasses out of the dishwasher. I dried the fuse switch and replaced with another fuse, but obviously didn't dry the fuse switch properly, as when I switched it back on there was a loud bang and black smoke coming out of the fuse socket.

The 13A fuse has now been removed and the dishwasher has not been used since then, until I can get an electrician to fix the socket.

As for the moisture behind the plastic plug protector, which I assume was the problem of the electrics tripping, as since drying that the problem seems to have resolved - I can only assume the moisture came from me cleaning the skirting boards, and maybe I wiped over the plastic plug protector too, and moisture somehow tracked behind the plastic protector.

The plastic plug protectors have a normal length top prong and the 2 lower prongs are shorter. I am still confused, could you confirm if a plastic plug protector is plugged in, and the socket switch is off, is that socket live at all with any electricity? Or would it only become "live" with any charge running through it if the socket switch was switched on?

I understand why some people do not like the plastic plug protectors as they can be turned upside down by toddlers etc, but I don't have a toddler who could do that, so just trying to understand if they are safer to use to prevent any shock from water contact?.... When I had the electric shock before having the plug protectors, that was probably the equivalent of a toddler touching a socket with a wet finger, but wondering if the plastic plug protector would have prevented the shock I received?
Stop with the plug protectors, they are honestly doing far more harm than good.

I really think you should get an electrician in to inspect all these sockets and switches, if you have been washing them to the point where bangs and smoke are coming out of any of them then they are probably all damaged and unsafe.

Stop with the plug protectors, they are honestly doing far more harm than good.

I really think you should get an electrician in to inspect all these sockets and switches, if you have been washing them to the point where bangs and smoke are coming out of any of them then they are probably all damaged and unsafe.

The dishwasher fuse switch that banged and smoked had not been "washed" at all by me. The fuse switch was splashed with a few drops of water whilst I was unloading wet items from the dishwasher.

Thank you again for all of the replies. I am interested to hear any opinions on the plastic plug protectors, any opinions on potential benefits of using the plastic protectors, and/or other reasons for being shocked from a socket with nothing at all plugged into it.

I will let you know any update from electrician visit.

Thank you again for all of the replies. I am interested to hear any opinions on the plastic plug protectors, any opinions on potential benefits of using the plastic protectors, and/or other reasons for being shocked from a socket with nothing at all plugged into it.

I will let you know any update from electrician visit.

There are no benefits to them. You have had good advice on them. Check the Web link also.

But I still believe that had one been plugged into the socket which gave me the shock, that would have probably been a barrier to prevent the electric shock.

Doubt it very much. More likely to have received a shock while wiping round the switch.

Avoid wet wipes. Recycle the protectors.

I'm out.

Reply to Sockets keep tripping in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net