Discuss Sockets with no earthing to the screw holes in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Bongo3000

Hi All

I came across some really cheap and nasty sockets in a house today. They don't have the metal straps to earth the screw holes, fortunately the installer had earthed back boxes but it would be easy to overlook this - particularly if a DIYer had put them in.

Question is do they comply with the latest version of BS1363? They are marked as BS1363 and manufactured by a company called HLM. Any info to feed back to the customer would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason.

Well first of all this is ringing alarm bells because I have never seen sockets without metal straps i would recommend changing the socket for all they cost

Well I just googled HLM BS1363 socket and got nothing back about them. Lots of stuff about heart and lung machines and HLM architects in Sheffield. Bin them mate

I found some sockets sold as a contractors pack from Toolstation had no earth strap to the screw holes.

Maybe worth contacting trading standards, as i'm pretty sure they won't meet BS1363 if there is no earth connection between earthing conductor and and back box via the fixing screws

Where did you get these sockets from?
I cant find anything on Google either to say that this company exists

Could be Hong-Kong Limited Manufacturing (garden shed)

Contact TS and get them to check them out

I didn't buy them, I walked into a job and they were already there. Didn't like the look of them so changed them straight away for basic but good quality white sockets. I was interested in whether these complied with BS1363 1995 - it felt like the BS had been relaxed if so. I will try trading standards - incidentally I did some googling and toolstation pops up again as a possible source so it could be a Uk retailer/disti supplying snide knock off products. Cheers to everyone for the info.

Reply to Sockets with no earthing to the screw holes in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net