Discuss soffit downlighters in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

telectrix

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
as title. got a job on , 1st fixed today, client wants 8 downlighters (GU10 halogen) switched with PIR fitting in his new pvc soffit. been on to meteor, and they say most guys use IP rated shower lights. is that the best solution, or is there anything more suitable.

IP 44 would sure surfice under a sofit.

The other thing to think about with these things is the condensation created by the halogens. I know there's airflow in the soffit, but if it gets too bad the back of the fittings aren't ip rated.

I don't see why ip65 lights would be any better than standard fittings. You're not going to get rain going upwards.

True, but there is more dampness outside than in, it wont take long for oxidisation to rear its ugly head on the terminals of the lamp connection.

IP rated for me.

I'd also be taking note of the lamp output fitted. PVC has a habit of melting at high temperatures so 35W lamps max in accordance with the usual F mark on such fittings would be a wise decision. Personally i'd fit LED fittings if it were my place.

was going to go for 35watt lamps due to the possibility of the pvc soffit getting warm. not sure if LEDs are suitable for PIR use though. have told client he can replace with LEDs, bu need to ascertain if th PIR can handle that type of load. generally, PIRs like a purely resistive load.

was going to go for 35watt lamps due to the possibility of the pvc soffit getting warm. not sure if LEDs are suitable for PIR use though. have told client he can replace with LEDs, bu need to ascertain if th PIR can handle that type of load. generally, PIRs like a purely resistive load.

PIRs can be a bit of a pain with unusual loads. I've got a Timeguard Professional one operating LED fittings at the moment which seems to be coping well. I've also got a Busch Watchdog PIR on another job doing stirling work but they are mega bucks compared to the Timeguard.

even a relay is an inductive load. have in the past had to fit capacitors across them.

robus pir and led lamps if possible if you have to cut cost id say go with different lamps not different pir's. if you are going to put 50w halogens in you might have problems mind as the plastic soffit will just heat up and with the force of the springs ends up turning the lamps into recessed lumps of very warm plastic

Done loads of these and use shower downlighters, and a 4watt Led G10. Good light cheap to run and last forever. Does not get to hot as to affect the facia or discolour it., they work well with standard photocells.

but are LEDs OK with PIRs. iv'e never tried them.

Yes they work very well and I have many a happy customer. Stick to the 4 watt leds as the 1.5watts are not a good enough light. Done many sets with the standard PIR`s and they work fine.

The other thing to think about with these things is the condensation created by the halogens. I know there's airflow in the soffit, but if it gets too bad the back of the fittings aren't ip rated.

Exactly. They are only IP rated for the front face, which to my mind is no more useful than standard fittings as I'd be more concerned with damp/humidity/condensation on the rear of the lamp. Probably the only advantage to using IP65 shower fittings is the lamps aren't held in with the little springy things.

Reply to soffit downlighters in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net