Discuss Solar installs needed asap !!!!!! in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

CSESBath

Hello,

We are a solar PV installation team, consisting of 2 solar PV roofers and an electrician with a lot of solar panel installation experience. We have been installing two jobs a day for the last year with all different systems and with different types of roofs. We are quick, neat and work long hours and weekends.

We have worked to very tight deadlines and have excellent customer service skills and have had a lot of praise.

We can travel, have own tools and do not mind staying away. We are very reliable and easy to work with. So if you have anything going please can you give us a ring or get in contact on here via pm?

Thanks,

conall

I predict 2-3 weeks before people get into the swing of things again, unfortunately this quarter is going to be harsh on a lot of companies without ongoing contracts, 4 weeks ago like all there was too much work to handle on the PV installation side now we have only enough going to tick the boys over.

Wind energy has the opposite though and we have had an increase in sales and interest, 400% increase in enquiries, shame this will be cut soon also. Have also had an increase in solar thermal due to the latest oil prices.

You won't get two jobs a day done in most of Wales lol, As a company we expect 1 day a tile roof, 2 days a slate roof. we do not condone the use of slate hanger bolts hence the 2 to sometimes even 3 days.

I will be honest it worries me when people say they can do multiple jobs in a day, I would expect no more than one job a day no matter what the install or the margin.

depends on the jobs.

If it's 2 jobs on the same road on concrete tiles with easy electric runs and you're working 8-7 or something, then I can see it's doable.

We've completed 4kWp jobs on concrete tiled bungalows in 4-5 hours between 3 of us, without any corners being cut (lugs ground off etc). At one point last November when our other team got stuck on a nightmare roof for 4 days(rosemary tiles backed with spray foam insulation - never again), we actually did pretty much manage 2 jobs a day with our other team for 2-3 days to keep us on schedule.

I'd not want to be scheduling in 2 jobs per day mind as it doesn't leave any margin for error.

me and my team have been doing solar for a long time and I'm certain the quality of our installs is as good as any you will find in the country.
We have been contracting for Your Power for the last few months and we have been completing 2 installs every day. A 4kw tiled roof would take us approx 1.5 to 3 hours max. a slate roof would take us 5-6 hours.
why does it worry you when people say they can do more than one job a day??
I would be more worried that your own teams dont know what they are doing if it takes them 3-4 days to do a slate roof. what exactly takes all the time??

I think we must be one of the slowest, we take a full day doing the bracket work and rail etc, but we do add extra wood for fixings alongide joists, so that takes time, we could possibly shave an hour or 2 off, but its not worth it, its better to make sure things are going well.

me and my team have been doing solar for a long time and I'm certain the quality of our installs is as good as any you will find in the country.
We have been contracting for Your Power for the last few months and we have been completing 2 installs every day. A 4kw tiled roof would take us approx 1.5 to 3 hours max. a slate roof would take us 5-6 hours.
why does it worry you when people say they can do more than one job a day??
I would be more worried that your own teams dont know what they are doing if it takes them 3-4 days to do a slate roof. what exactly takes all the time??
Do you mind me asking a few questions, as I can see that it's potentially doable, and we're not far off in busy periods, but I reckon there may be a few things we'd need to change to make that a reality if we wanted to go down that line...

do you load your own van with the kit for the 2 jobs or is it already on site / loaded by someone else for you?

Also, were they usually scheduling the jobs to be relatively close to each other?

From experience, I reckon it's the loading kit into the van at the start or end of the day that is the main issue for us when we do end up having to do more than 1 install per team per day, as well as rarely being able to schedule jobs close enough to each other.

1 1/2 hours start to finish though does seem pretty speedy gonzales like - is that from getting out the van to getting back in, or first tile lifted to panels on?

And are you commissioning your work as you go, or does someone follow you along to commission afterwards? And do you explain the system to the customer or does someone else do that afterwards, or does nobody really do that?

I'm guessing you're having your lunch / tea breaks in the van between jobs. We tend to always have a tea break at least between finishing the brackets and rails, and putting the panels on, which I suppose adds 20 minutes to the job, but I'd be pretty reluctant to be giving that up.

Do you mind me asking a few questions, as I can see that it's potentially doable, and we're not far off in busy periods, but I reckon there may be a few things we'd need to change to make that a reality if we wanted to go down that line...

do you load your own van with the kit for the 2 jobs or is it already on site / loaded by someone else for you?

Also, were they usually scheduling the jobs to be relatively close to each other?

From experience, I reckon it's the loading kit into the van at the start or end of the day that is the main issue for us when we do end up having to do more than 1 install per team per day, as well as rarely being able to schedule jobs close enough to each other.

1 1/2 hours start to finish though does seem pretty speedy gonzales like - is that from getting out the van to getting back in, or first tile lifted to panels on?

And are you commissioning your work as you go, or does someone follow you along to commission afterwards? And do you explain the system to the customer or does someone else do that afterwards, or does nobody really do that?

I'm guessing you're having your lunch / tea breaks in the van between jobs. We tend to always have a tea break at least between finishing the brackets and rails, and putting the panels on, which I suppose adds 20 minutes to the job, but I'd be pretty reluctant to be giving that up.

we do load our own vans in the morning/evening and i agree that it is a nightmare but you are then going to the job with peice of mind that everything will be there to complete the job.

most days when we would travel to the next job it will ussally take between 45-90minutes

i did say from 1.5 hours to 3 hours, our jobs will take an average of 2 hours from screwing first bracket on to plugging last panel in.

we commision the systems ourselves, realistically it is only a 3-5min job!!! and we explain to the customer about the system, but what is there really to explain?? it runs itself!! that shouldnt take more than 10mins.

we dont ussually stop for tea breaks!! we always take breakfast in the mornings in the digs and when we finish in the evenings we have a few pints and dinners.

I know for a fact this is easily doable, because there were quicker teams than us also working for homesun/yourpower.

i dont blame you guys for taking your time at all, if thats how you are happy to opperate thats fine. a few weeks back we did a 12 panel array in wiltshere and ecovision's salaried blokes started the next door neighbours at the same time (830am) (same array, same system) we were gettin into our van at 1030 and they hadnt finished the brackets yet, they couldnt believe it. but as i said if i was salaried i wouldnt push myself hard either

i can see how it is possible on the right roof, we've never done it is 1.5 hours probably 3hrs is the quickest and the spark was done in about 2. and sat about twiddling his thumbs. i,ve managed the roof on a 17kwp job on my own in a little over two days. the electrician was done in the same time.

mounting kit normally on site, panels arrive on the day.

in general time means nothing, i've seen cowboys take a day and do a sh!te job, and i've seen our best quality roofer do a 4kwp on his own in a morning, and do 10kwp on a four story building in three days.

I'm not sure how you can comission a system in 3 minutes when it should take 3 minutes for the inverter to fire up. How do you do the dead testing, then live testing within that time frame. You would also then have to write out the test certs with the appropriate results. This process would usually take me 15-20 minutes.
The customer needs to know how the system works, how the inverter works, where all the assosciated bits are. when to shut down the system for maintainance or other electrical works and what the emergency shut down procedure is. I would include in this a discussion about reorganising their electrical useage. This also usually takes 15-20 minutes as they often have questions they want to ask.

I did some subbing for a firm a while ago. 2 of us would do the electrics in a day. They couldn't understand why it took so long, then they saw the work and understood why. Conversely when I saw some of their other installs that had been done quicker I could see why they were fast.
Their roofers could do panels in 3-4 hours. 1 guy would carry a panel up the ladder onto the scaffold himself, which is dangerous and totally against H&S. The panels were frequently damaged, poorly alligned and the rails not cut neatly. Cable entry was by pushing the cables under the tiles and punching a hole in the felt. Totally against the guidelines. I never saw them trim a tile.

They thought they were the dogs and asked to come and sub for me. I wouldn't give them the time of day.

The proof is in the pudding as they say. We spent a lot of time trying to placate irrate customers who were witholding payment for various reasons. Most customers we met had disputes with the company.

I have never had a dispute with one of my customers and they have always paid on time in full.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry I don't mean to be offensive but is that a real name

Conall meaning and name origin

Conall \c(o)-na-ll\ as a boy's name is pronounced KAHN-al. It is of Irish, Scottish, Gaelic and Celtic origin, and the meaning of Conall is "strong wolf". Also possibly from a Gaelic phrase meaning "high and mighty". The name was borne by many early chieftains and warriors of Ireland. One of them was the Ulster hero Conall Cearnach, one of the two sons of Niall of the Nine Hostages (the other was Eoghan).

Reply to Solar installs needed asap !!!!!! in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net