Currently reading:
Solar Panel Install - Testing

Discuss Solar Panel Install - Testing in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

waitees

Hi all

I have been approached by a friend of a friend to get involved with certifcating solar panel installs. The company have just got there mcs etc and are all up and running but have asked me to get a little involved and to issue a certifcate.

I have checked with the NICEIC and they confirmed the paperwork etc and thats all sorted but my question is to do with the wiring ac side of things.

They have run 4mm 3 core swa cable as it goes outside and they have not earthed the swa cable which goes into the last ac switch and then from there into normal 4mm twin and earth cable into the meter and then from the meter into a 16a mcb again in 4mm t&e connected to a one way board with 25mm meter tails out of the main switch into a henley block.

This is all new to me however if this takes off and is constant work, i will do the pv course just so i know the ins and outs.

Could someone point me in the right direction what size cable etc i should be checking from the last ac switch to the meter and from the meter to the board set up as this dont look right ?

Cheers

Paul

First of all the 4mm SWA outside should have the armoured earthed. But you know that. The size of this cable should be calculated at no more than a 1% voltdrop. The AC cable coming in from the PV array through a AC isolator again is all OK. From that into a generation meter (Load side being the property NOT the array) into a 16A MCB (I would also see a need for 30mA protection as by the read if it the inverter is outside? Discussions on the exact position of the gen meter i.e. before or after the final AC isolator rage on but as far as I see it, it makes little difference. The cable size should be the same though out for VD so dependant on length then 4mm all the way is OK.

hello Marc

Thanks for the reply, the inverter is inside the loft space and looks all correct with another ac switch. The inverter is a Sunnyboy this has not been put on a rcd but has paperwork with it and said that it has a glav earth inside with no need, should i recomend a rcd as well or there really is no need.

cheers Paul

hello Marc

Thanks for the reply, the inverter is inside the loft space and looks all correct with another ac switch. The inverter is a Sunnyboy this has not been put on a rcd but has paperwork with it and said that it has a glav earth inside with no need, should i recomend a rcd as well or there really is no need.

cheers Paul

There is no need unless the inverter is in a special location. I assumed it was outside from the original post (don't really know why now I have read it again?)

Hi guys iv been approached to do solar pv but i have no previous experience. iv got my 17th edition 2391 etc. how would i go about connecting them up and also what testing procedure would i need to do?

Thanks

so would i need to do a full inspection and testing on the other circuits already installed or only the cable i install from the inverter. would i need to do ze, pfc, etc.

so would i need to do a full inspection and testing on the other circuits already installed or only the cable i install from the inverter. would i need to do ze, pfc, etc.

Treat it like any other new circuit - you only test what you have done and making sure earthing and bonding is up to scratch. Then test and fill in an EIC.

the solar pv course goes through the installation, which is useful for what you need to know on subject , however doesnt go through the testing side of it though, just as long as you know how to fill out EIC form then just fill out as normal with minor changes to normal inspection

I'm sorry if this is the wrong thread but I'm not sure how to use this yet and the banner on top is instructing me I need 6 replies to gain full access. So my first question is how do I start a thread and not step on other people. Secondly, is there an inverter with 2 inputs (one being DC from the PV and the other AC from the grid) and one output (AC) to power a load. The concept is an inverter to power a single load such as a heavy freezer. The device would need to use the PV power "first" and supplement the additional power needed from the grid. This inverter does not feed back into the grid. Thank you for any help and apologize if this is stepping on the thread.

Here will do :)

OK, so let me see if I've got this right,
1) The inverter MUST NOT FEED INTO THE GRID - is that a requirement or a desire?
2) You want the load (freezer, variable power consumption, inductive load) to use whatever output is generated from the Inverter 'as a priority' and if insufficient (not enough) power from the Inverter to supplement it from the grid.
3) If the Inverter is generating more power than the load (freezer) needs, then to restrict the output of the inverter so that it doesn't feed back into the grid.

The most important part is your answer to question 1) - a legal / electricity supply company REQUIREMENT - or just your desire?

Reply to Solar Panel Install - Testing in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back