Discuss Solar Panel Replacement in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

rollonfriday

Humm i have been asked to replace a damaged solar panel on existing 10KW system, however existing panel installed is no longer available dispite many enquires we are unable to get hold of a like for like panel.

System is currently configured in Series 4 strings, 2 of 10 panels and 2 of 9 panels on an eversol 10000TL inverter

My question is, if I replace 1 of the panels from one of the strings of 9 with an alterrnative panel (obviously the (voc and isc) will be different but will this just effect the performance of the other 8 panels on that string? i.e bring all down to the lowest current rating or will this have a bigger effect?

I am under impression that voltage will just accumilate as normal on that individual string but current will be reduced to the lowest rated?? If i am correct I will have 3 normal strings with 3 normal power outputs and 1 slightly reduced string which can be worked out by p=V x I?

Is there any thing else to consider/am i missing anything else?

Last edited by a moderator:
ITS A 96 cell panel VOC 61.7V and ISC of 5.4A...
What makes things harder is its a black frame/black panel, which limits my choice of replacements...

This is why I am wondering if I replaced panel with different VOC and ISC, for example 50V and 7.9A wouldnt the voltage just be 8x 61.7v + 1x 50v and amp of 5.4A (As New panel Amps would be reduced to lowest performing panels?)

Making a performance of 2935.44w with new panel compared to 2998.62W (ORIGINAL PANELS) this is if my understanding correct???

ITS A 96 cell panel VOC 61.7V and ISC of 5.4A...
What makes things harder is its a black frame/black panel, which limits my choice of replacements...

This is why I am wondering if I replaced panel with different VOC and ISC, for example 50V and 7.9A wouldnt the voltage just be 8x 61.7v + 1x 50v and amp of 5.4A (As New panel Amps would be reduced to lowest performing panels?)

Making a performance of 2935.44w with new panel compared to 2998.62W (ORIGINAL PANELS) this is if my understanding correct???

What I wouldn't be sure of would be how it will affect PPT for that string. We were taught on PV course to never mix panels. Im not 100% on this but it could end up making the string perform worse. Can you not just link out and remove that panel?

Yes can link out panel and to be honest that is what i have suggested, however client has asked around and has been informed that you can mix panels?

I have never done this myself so thought would check to see if this could be done and what the effects would be? On this system removing one panel would be the easiest and best option in my opinion, but thought maybe worth checking out as panels seem to be discontinued quite regularly and im sure i will be faced with this again in the future.

Does the appearance matter? Can you shunt some panels around so a silver-framed one can be in a less visible location? Or will it stick out like a sore thumb?

You can mix panels but 61.7voc is ridiculous. 1st gen Chinese. I remember these massive ratings.

i have a mate with a mixture and he claims he's had no issues, he keeps adding them to his domestic.

i have just taken a 260 hj off a commercial and told the owner to source one. Don't get involved if you can't easily source

if you put a sub up there and something goes wrong you're liable. I'd walk away minus a panel

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone know where HJ Solar "compatibles" can be sourced?
Looking for 250W or 260W (mono), 1580 x 1062 (size is critical) Voc 60.5-61 V Isc 5.35-5.51 A, Colour not important.
I know there were a couple of other makes around late 2011 with similar characteristics.

I gave him instructions to contact the supplier. I'm already 2 weeks into trying to find a solution to this damn solarmax problem and that has taught me to back off being the busy fool and not making money.

you think about it I've spent a lot of time over these past two weeks contacting everyone and anyone I can imagine that may have an idea and for what? Hand the guy a bill, that'll be £1000 for my two weeks oh by the way the red light is still on...

im on site tomorrow and I'll give it an overhaul, problem is I get it active and the following day it faults out so tomorrow is the last. Then I sit him down and explain I need to use maybe 2x 25SMA jacked into a consumer and link onto the existing feed to the current 50 linked to the g59. Prolly cheapest way if the 25's will take 5x20 string formats. Should be ok.

hmm, I had 4-5 of these in stock at one point, was saving them for spares, but then someone randomly asked for 4 of them to run a borehole pump for their family farm in africa and erm I no longer have any spares.

At least I don't think I do - I think the OP has already rung us to ask:)

Thanks Gavin, also similar to the Jinko Solar monos, though can't find any of them in stock
We've got two sites where the glass is smashed, they appear to be functioning ok and you can't tell when testing the strings that they are 'faulty'. I'm sure it must have an impact on output, though they appear to be working fine, even with the broken glass.
Found two stockists of the Galliums :)

How is it damaged? Glass smashed? Cables? Junction box? How did it happen? Is it giving any readings when tested?

Bit of everything, panel blew off roof, ripping off cables, smashed when fell... (Oh and should say we did not do this install, the company that did is no longer trading!!!) Just thought would get that in there !

Reply to Solar Panel Replacement in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net