Discuss Some advice: Power to a shed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Kay9

-
Reaction score
Hi all. I’ve joined the site to ask for a quick bit of advice.

Please note, I’m not an electrician, I will be hiring one to complete the bulk of the work required, but I would basically like to know what are my limits in terms of DIY. Not only is money tight, I also need to carry out some prep work before the real ‘sparky’ jobs begin, so I thought it would make sense to put as much in place as possible beforehand. I’m just not sure how far I’m allowed to go while remaining Part P compliant.

Basically, I would like to run power to a shed that will eventually be about 15 metres from the house. I just need power for 3-4 sockets, an indoor light and an outdoor light. The shed doesn’t even exist yet, and before it’s constructed, I need to do a lot of work in the surrounding garden, including addition of a new lawn. As I already need to carry out a lot of digging, I thought it would make sense to already get the trench dug for the SWA. What I was wondering is:

• Can I pre-bury an SWA cable and turf over? Or will this need to be physically inspected/witnessed?
    • Ideally, when I get the electrician in, the SWA will be ready to hook up at both ends and test etc
  • Finally, once the SWA has been appropriately terminated in the shed at a CU (or whatever the electrician decides), can I then wire up all of the internal sockets and lights etc myself? Once the SWA is terminated in the shed, can it then be considered indoor wiring, or are there still extra precautions that need to be considered?
    • This would just save me a bit of time, as I can decide on locations etc last minute, as opposed to when the electrician is physically here (want to avoid needing him out twice if possible)

I would appreciate any advice on this topic

It would be unusual to find a spark willing to do only part of the work.

In order to issue an installation certificate the work has to be inspected and tested during the installation.

For such a small job the savings in cost would be minimal as the installer would have to visit during installation and take time to explain what was needed and or rectify any issues.

DPG's suggestion of laying the duct is the best way to save time and money. You can buy duct with a draw string already in it although it's really only any good for pulling through an actual draw rope. :)

In four easy steps:
  • Ask your electrician how deep he/she would like the trench.
  • You dig the trench for him/her.
  • Let the electrician worry about everything else to do with specification/procurement of materials and installation/testing.
  • You backfill the trench after the electrician gives you the thumbs up.
That way, everything will be safe, certified & notified where applicable, whilst you will save money on the electrician not having to dig the trench.... no sparky likes digging trenches.

Shut up you lot bumping your gums, the OP's question was answered #2. :)
not really.no mention of depth, warning tape, etc. in post#2. be a shame if the dug it, ducted it, filled it,turfed it, only to find that he's got to do it all again because it's 5mm too shallow.

not really.no mention of depth, warning tape, etc. in post#2. be a shame if the dug it, ducted it, filled it,turfed it, only to find that he's got to do it all again because it's 5mm too shallow.

Blimey, Tel's picking on me bloody post now!

Personally I wouldn't be happy with a duct installed by a DIYer which I had not overseen. The first thing to do is speak to an Electrician and see what (if indeed anything at all) he is happy for you to do.

Sorry Buzz, what are you saying?
I said "You backfill the trench after the electrician gives you the thumbs up."
You quoted me as saying "You backfill the trench when the electrician in after gives you the thumbs up."
I know it doesn't take much, but I'm confusssed...:confused:

Sub main to shed = new circuit = part P

New fuseboard in shed = part p

New socket circuit in shed = part P

New lighting circuit in shed = part P

So that leaves the digging

Thanks very much all. I suspected that the digging would be pretty much all I could do. I will contact a spark and find out exactly what's needed in this case. Cheers :)
Warrington is close to us. We be happy to advise and undertake the work.

I would say best thing to do would be to run a duct in with a rope in it. Speak to whoever will be doing the electrical work before going any further.

Your getting a bit perdantic, he only had a bit of wording/grammar wrong. :)

Reply to Some advice: Power to a shed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net