Discuss Split con submain in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I think the consensus is that even though it’s not technically in the regs, there nothing unsafe about using it.
However, it’s got no more protection than a twin and earth. Would you run a 16mm twin and earth underneath plaster outside of a safe zone with just the dno fuse for protection?
In terms of stopping a drill then no, copper is not as tough as steel. But really would SWA armour stop a battery drill with HSS bit? I doubt it.

What SWA has is an earthed shield that makes sure if you do penetrate the cable then it shorts it out, so you don't have the risk of a live screw, walls support, etc, going unnoticed until it causes a fatal shock some day. That is the reason for the 30mA RCD with cable not buried more than 50mm behind walls, etc. Same idea for the likes of Flexishield.

Split concentric though is an odd one to consider. The construction means you can't reach the line conductor without going through either (or both) the CPC or neutral. So in that sense it is as safe as SWA in terms of ADS under such an accident condition.

But...you might be in contact with neutral after a minor accident, and technically that is "live" (as in current carrying), so you should have it disconnected under fault conditions. But RCBOs are (in the majority) only disconnecting the line, and don't switch neutral. So if split-con cable is unsafe due to the risk of exposed neutral under failure/fault conditions, how can SP RCBOs be considered safe?

Ladies and gentlemen, discuss!

Split concentric during the 16th Ed reign was deemed to be one of the cables which could be buried in a wall without additional rcd protection, this was later removed.

Reply to Split con submain in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi. Im looking for some advice when calculating submain cables. Basically there is a new connection of 80Amps that is to be used for a dwelling...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, Can I ask you a DIY question? I'm refurbing a detached garage and adding a garden building. Garage currently has a submain supplied by...
Replies
Views
In a property with two consumer units one for the ring main etc., and the other for the 1970s storage heaters (storage heater CU looks like it’s...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I am at odds on whether RCD protection is required on an SWA of 14 metres, clipped direct under flooring direct from CU to an exterior...
Replies
Views
Afternoon all, Got a bit of a strange one (by my usual standards anyway). Job is a large barn conversion, done years ago, there's loads of work to...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock