Currently reading:
Split load RCD woes

Discuss Split load RCD woes in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

chronyx

The usual C.U. change problem.

All circuits working except one (Ostensibly a ring circuit, once upon a time. It 'end-to-end's at the board) which seems to have a neutral to earth fault.

I was methodical so I don't believe any neutral conductors were misplaced, but even putting the two neutral conductors concerned into the small pre-RCD neutral bar that the RCD tails go to, resulted in an RCD trip as soon as the circuit was loaded, although not from merely touching them on the bar as below.

There's no continuity between either of the Neutral conductors and the 2 split load neutral bars, yet touch one of them onto either neutral bar and the associated RCD will trip.

Did as much investigation as possible after C.U. change and changeover switch install for a small back up generator.

In my roundabout way I'm just wondering if anyone has seen this before or has any tips. The circuit has been modified over the years so I can't really vouch for its condition. Just thought it was worth asking the hive mind.

One other question - would removing the tails from the RCD neutral bars so that they are electrically separate, then checking for continuity help identify a misplaced neutral? I assume no continuity would be desired.

There's a PayPal drink on offer to anyone that gives a winning answer!

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Daves great he makes me laugh, is obviously a fantastic electrician, and just seems to shrug off any criticism without resort to personalities. It always fascinates me on how people would be if you met them, they very often are nothing like, I bet Daves a bit of a Dr Spock.

I think Daves great he makes me laugh, is obviously a fantastic electrician, and just seems to shrug off any criticism without resort to personalities. It always fascinates me on how people would be if you met them, they very often are nothing like, I bet Daves a bit of a Dr Spock.

I just hope that's not cockney slang for something else. :smilielol5:

To be fair Dave Helps a lot of members out with his knowledge and he knows his onions, yes his replies can sometimes appear a bit sharp but he always comes up with the goods.
If anyone takes a look at the top thanked,liked,poster, thread starters section you can clearly see that he is actually the top poster and also most thanked which for me is the important one because it proves he helps out a lot on the forum.
Just saying :wink_smile:
???​...

Where's the stats for top thanked poster, and how is Dave the most thanked?

It's at the bottom of the home page and if you click on it it shows all the stats like top thread starter in the last 60 days, top pster, most thanked etc.

I'm off to work now so you're on your own :wink:

Attachments

• Screenshot (41).png
    153.2 KB · Views: 45
@ GMES. You are not in the top ten for "Thanks"!!! You should be after all the hard work you put into this place.

Just a hint to members :wink: GMES puts a lot of hours into the forum (same as all of the staff) and he should be in the top ten. Here you go mate, I've just put a Thanks on your last 3 posts to push you up the list (and me off it lol). Luv you Silver-back, my turn for the breakfast next time.

Reply to Split load RCD woes in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back