Search the forum,

Discuss Staircase lighting switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Need some help with this please

I want to replace a broken staircase timer

The new staircase switch is a Contactum TSSL1

This has four terminals L N 3 4

It is triggered by a MK push switch Com Break and Make

I have tried to mock this up in my garage first but it will not work

Could anybody advise on how to wire this up.

I would post the diagram but need more posts.
When I tried, the light came on as soon as power was supplied, went off after timed period. but the push switch would not switch it back on.

Thanks

I'm not familiar with the unit at all, whats the diagram in the instructions say? I expect you may have to link the live terminal to 3 and then 4 will energise when the timer allows the terminal to become active, but we need more really.

well just post up any old crap until you get to the required post count, I suspect at a complete guess terminals 3 and 4 are volt free, but need to see a diagram, or I will have to put myself out and google the model lol

sct.jpg

Here is the wiring diagram

Attachments

• sct.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 96
well thats it then, terminal 3 is the live phase supply from the timer to the lights, I assume you are not dimming via retractive switches?

4 is definately a neutral connection according to the drawing, however it looks like dimming can be carried out also, I assume and could be wrong as I am not familliar with this model that any push buttons would be connected in between the link cable from terminal 3 and the positive side of the light connection (switched live) as standard 2 core parallel switches would normally be done so in a stairwell, no need for anything other than 2 cores between all push button switches.

As I see it on the timer it needs a L and N to operate the clock
the light will need a N and a SL

The switch send a live to the timer which energises the SL to the light

So I need a live at the switch
When pressed, sends a live to the timer
which send live to light
the timer counts down and switches the light off

But that does not seem to work

that is what I expected to see, but the timer you have there doesn't show the wiring to work that way, I would have suggested a feed to switches and from the switches back to the timer and then to the light, but this drawing doesn't show that, can you show all the writing as well as the drawing there.

I thought the switch was between neutral and terminal 3, which I thought to be odd as its kind of switching a neutral, but then it could be all wired in 3 core and earth from contactor, ie all switches and light fittings?

probably just the way it is shown, but terminal 4 is probably the switch feed back from the push switches and then 3 out to the light, looks like 4 is a neutral connection though unless I have had too many beers tonight

I reckon the switch feed to the lights is permanent from the timer, and when you push the retractable switch you make the neutral to the lights on the timer, the time is set on the actual modual, that make sence I think hehe

agree will, however every time I look at the diagram I get a different idea, I am now thinking the supply to the switches isn't shown as it is assumed to be obvious, and when the retractable switches are pressed a supply goes to terminal 4 from them, which inturn energises the timer and the output from 3 goes back to the light

I think live switched by timer from 4, the neutral is the center vertical line going up between the lamps and switches,
when switch is closed, neutral is put to terminal 3, starting the timer, so then live out of 4 up to lamps?

Hi,
My thoughts are,
4 Is the Switch Feed.
3 is the Switch Wire and return to operate timer countdown.
N is connected to the lamps and timer.

Only problem is, that is not what the diagram shows! Can't really see where that N connection is required at the switch end and why when there is a N at the timer.

Regards.

Reply to Staircase lighting switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net