Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Star delta testing help needed in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Tags:
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Kj14

Kj14 EF Member

Hi I need some help I haven't work on star delta motors since my 1st year apprenticeship. How do you test the motor from the panel i.e check that the windings are balanced?

Any help much appreciated

2. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    you could clamp each phase. see if each was equal current.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Andy-1960

Andy-1960 Electrician's Arms

Depending on the type of load you may find doing a current test on each phase does not always give the answer you may expect. It may be fine on a load such as a fan, but I have a customer that manufactures compressors and we always get out of balance current readings.

Testing in the panel across each set of windings with a good quaility meter should give a matching resistance across all three windings, so test between U1 & U2, V1 & V2, W1 & W2. Then megger test each winding to earth.

4. PEG

PEG Trusted Advisor

Hi,depending on constraints,if it was the motor i was wanting to test,i would not include the wiring from panel to motor. Check as described,but at disconnected motor.

This way,any troubling readings are the motor,and not any included part of the connections.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Andy-1960

Testing at the motor with it disconnected would always be my preference, but the OP did ask how to test from the panel so I assumed there were constraints.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

No such animal as a Star Delta Motor, it's the method of starting that Star Deltahttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsS1v_i2YtU
    Best way to check the Windings would be to disconnect the 6 leads at the Motor terminal box, make sure you mark the leads, to avoid malfunctions

• Creative Creative x 1
  7. PEG

PEG Trusted Advisor

...Like that massive circular saw,not cutting as well as previously...;)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Andy5678

Andy5678 EF Member

What is the purpose of the test, maintenance or do you suspect a fault?

9. Kj14

Kj14 EF Member

The motors getting hot and tripping out Ive insulation resistance tested and that's fine, just want to check the motor is balanced. Need to rule out electrical fault before fitters will look it

10. Andy5678

Andy5678 EF Member

Can you turn the rotor to make sure it turns free and smooth, is there any noises coming from it when it's on, if there's a belt on it is that ok and tight enough. Also check if the overload is set properly

11. Andy-1960

Is it changing from star to delta?

• Like Like x 1
  12. PEG

PEG Trusted Advisor

Perhaps,most importantly of all,what is the motor driving?

• Like Like x 1
  13. mickfred

mickfred Regular EF Member

Won't be the starter , most likely bearing gone , damaged fan or belt too tight .

14. Andy-1960

How can you say it's not the starter? I have seen motors that have been stuck in star either because of a failed timer or even a welded star contactor and boy does the motor run hot!

• Like Like x 2
  15. mickfred

BECAUSE I SAY ITS NOT ( please don't be the starter )

16. mickfred

if my thinking right the current (in star) of each phase runs across two sets of wiring doubling the resistance and reducing the current therefore why would it be getting hot

17. Andy-1960

Because of the load on the motor, it cannot deliver the required power, torque and will not achieve its maximum running speed when running in star hence the motor will be overloaded.
    When the motor is connected in star, the motor will be effectivly rated at approximately a third of its motor plate rating, so a 7.5kw rated motor will have an output of about 2.5kw. So if the motor is being asked to deliver 7.5kw of power but only capable of delivering 2.5kw it will effectively be overloaded and get rather warm! The control system will not normally detect this as usually the overload relay is shorted out by the star contactor during start up.

• Like Like x 1
  18. mickfred

Fair enough it's still not the starter

19. Andy-1960

Lol.. it may not be, you may be right but worth a check all the same.

20. mickfred

Okay check it switches over and when it does check what i said (god , i really hope it not the starter )

21. ipf

ipf Trusted Advisor

Just an example.
    One panel I installed over 30 years ago controlling 4 x 15kw motors via s/d starters. In all those years the motors have all been changed just once with the odd bearing change, whilst I would say that at least 25 contactors have needed changing with contact damage due to load.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Kj14

Kj14 EF Member

It's switching over and it will run for a while sometimes a few hours and then trip. It's running a vac pump. Just need to know how to test winding from the panel as the motor box is not easily accessible.

23. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Are you talking IR or resistance testing
    Are you talking IR or winding resistance testing

24. stantheman

stantheman Regular EF Member

It could be a multitude of things, does the motor sound ok? rumbling or knocking noises could indicate bearings/ alignment problems, check the supply voltage at the panel (line to line and line to earth) then from there visually check for bad/burning connections ( does the panel smell of burning when first opened up?) then carry out all the dead testing checking contact resistance on all poles of the contactors not forgetting to check the resistance of the overloads themselves. Check that the resistance of the motor windings from the panel are balanced if not check at the motor terminals.

• Like Like x 1
  25. stantheman

I've just seen that it's a vac pump, when these start to fail they can become very noisey (sticking or broken blades) and at the same time take longer to reach the preset vacuum (this can checked by asking the operator if they have noticed any changes).

• Like Like x 1
  26. DAvid Prosser

DAvid Prosser Regular EF Member

I'm going for mechanical fault (or lack of maintenance) on the vacuum pump. Oil and filter candles need changing. Just a complete guess but as I can't see it, hear it, or test it I'm just having fun guessing.

27. Kj14

Kj14 EF Member

Winding resistance from the panel

28. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

At which contactors? you will need to identify the 6 cables going to the motor

29. Kj14

Kj14 EF Member

That's what I need to know I can see the star contactor and the delta contactor

30. stantheman

Check at the main contactor and the delta contactor not forgetting the o/l unit. Identify the windings U1 start and finish U2, V1 & V2 and finally W1 & W2, these should have the same value, don't be surprised at the very low impedance readings. Also check for leakage to earth from U, V and W. Don't forget to check the input voltage.
    If all above are present and correct including what was said in #24, then it's almost certain a mechanical problem.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  31. stantheman

What was the outcome?

32. theguz

theguz EF Member

make sure all the contacts in the contactors are making . you might be losing a phase

33. stantheman

The fault has probably been fixed by someone else as the op not been back with any info.

• Agree Agree x 1