Discuss Starting apprenticeship next month, looking for general advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all, I am starting an apprenticeship next month as an electrician within a data centre and was wondering if there is anybody on here with experience within this sector? It would be great if I could get some advice I.e what to expect, what day to day looks like, how I can set myself up for success etc.

Much appreciated!

Welcome to the forum, and welcome to the trade!

You can ask @Dan or @Lou for a “trainee” badge for your name.
There are no silly questions, but be prepared for silly answers sometimes.

Are you doing the full c&g apprenticeship? I’m wondering how much variation of work you’ll get being in the one place.

Cheesecake or pavlova?

Sounds like a good gig. Nice clean environment, no pesky client employees getting in the way, i would wear your best workwear cos it should last. Arrive early as i suspect parking and entry could take time.
Someone on here will come along with advice of what to do with your smartphone...lol

I don’t have any experience in that environment but my advice is be on time, listen to what you’re being told and keep your phone in your pocket. Remember those teaching you are trying to do their own job at the same time so don’t take it for granted, have a good attitude towards work and it’ll go well for you.

One extra tip I would give (I did an apprenticeship) is take advantage of your non-threatening nature (ie you are junior, not going to steal anyones job (for a few years anyway))...ask questions, make friends with the top guys, see if you can help them in anyway (may be sorting their emails, may be getting their coffee, may be doing the crappy work they don't want to do)

• Always have a pen, paper, screwdriver and pliers on you
  • Remember the brew preferences
  • Any opportunity you have to do that particular job you hate or struggle with - take it, this will help improve your experience of this particular job/area
  • Don't be afraid to say no; what i mean by this is know the limits of what you can do or what you feel safe doing; you'll be more respected being cautious than you will for being gung-ho.
  • You have 2 ears and 1 mouth for a reason - Don't just hear but listen before speaking
  • There is a lot to be said for turning up early and leaving late.

Keep off your phone
Listen!
Go for it but always check your work and get approval for it
Remember that the path you have chosen is an important one, worthy of total respect, so make sure your work is up to it..
and remember, everyone makes silly mistakes! Just learn from those and don't be put off by elementary errors...you will learn from then and (hopefully) not repeat them.
I hope it goes well for you...

Reply to Starting apprenticeship next month, looking for general advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net