Discuss Stolen Vehicle Trackers in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

dansk

-
Reaction score
Anyone had any experience of GPS Vehicle trackers in the event your car gets nicked via house burglary when they take the keys.

Id be interested to know what tracker you had fitted at the time and if you had the vehicle recovered? Was it worth the money having one fitted? or is it a load of bull?

Yes. Had a tracker on my car. Luckily never had to use it. Have been told there easily worked round now tho as jammers are easily available on net

It is very difficult to steal a car now without the keys.
Someone will undoubted come up with a way, but by and large if you keep your keys safe and take them out when you leave it, car theft is not the opportunist crime that it was.

If you are targeted by professionals for a particular model there will be ways and means.
Many vehicles and other valuable property have been recovered by the use of trackers.

If I was concerned I would take the chance and fit one.

I'd rather they took the car and burnt it out so I can claim on the gap insurance and buy a new one, I wouldn't want it back if some scum bag had driven it.

It depends on the vehicle and who nicks it.
Professional thieves will take their target vehicle regardless, they know where any factory fit tracker is and can rip them out in seconds, same goes for the common locations for aftermarket trackers to be fitted.
Or else they put the vehicle straight into a shipping container, that blocks the tracker signal.

I've heard of a couple of cars going missing locally then being recovered due to the tracker, they were both left on a side road in a local trading estate. Thieves leave them for a few days to find out whether or not they have a tracker, if the car is still there when they come back to it they know it's ok.

Last week i was relaxing on the sofa, and this beat up focus pulls up right outside my house, then this shady guy walked down the drive with a hoodie on and tracksuit bottoms on and knocked on the door - i looked out the bay window to see who it was and then answered the door - all he was doing was staring at the car, then asked me if "john" was in? i didnt even speak, just screwed my face up and then he said "oh must have the wrong house" then turned away and stared at the car as he walked away.

These guys stood out like a sore thumb down my road where i live - it was so out of character

Call me paranoid, but around Bradford the theft of Audi's & VW's is rife. I wonder what would have happened if we a) didn't answer the door b) the wife answered c) my 18yr old lad answered.

I aint fussed if the car go's - but its the hassle and inconvenience plus the hike in insurance premium.

Im fitting a tracker, at least it will help.

Last edited:
Did you get the reg of the car? You should report it to the police and they will log it. A month or so ago there was someond dodgy sitting in a car at the end of our street lookibg like he was clocking what time people were leaving for work so we reported it and they said it will be logged, then if any crime does happen they will question them. They also did a background check on them but said they didnt have a record of the vehicle and insurance and tax etc was ok. If your worried also might be worth fitting hdcctv

True story, a few years ago I asked my insurance about a tracker on my car, they said the insurance would increase. I said how's that?!. The reply was they see it as a modification because it hadn't come standard on the car !!.

Or else they put the vehicle straight into a shipping container, that blocks the tracker signal.

If that has ever been true I can't say but that's not the case with trackers these days. A metal container doesn't block the tracker signal.

I've heard of a couple of cars going missing locally then being recovered due to the tracker, they were both left on a side road in a local trading estate. Thieves leave them for a few days to find out whether or not they have a tracker, if the car is still there when they come back to it they know it's ok.

Yep, this is commonly done. They steal the car and park it up for a few days to see if it gets picked up.

Happened to my mates, got picked up in a street not far from the docks. Thanks to the tracker.

Got the house keys through the letter box, got in the house and got the car keys, shut the door leaving the house keys on the step and drove off in the car.

Last edited:
I'm always on guard, got the Reg and did report it, this way the police can build up a picture if the same car keeps been reported.

just been reading about gps and mobile signal jammers, that's a concern if they can block the tracker as easy as that, except the original tracker uses VHF.

Reply to Stolen Vehicle Trackers in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net