Search the forum,

Discuss Strange in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I am decorating our bedroom which only has 1 double socket in it. We have been using multiple gang sockets which are untidy and a trip risk, so I have put trunking (25x16) along the top of the skirting with 30 amp round junction boxes (2.5mm 3 core flexi cable) ok, so my actual question is..When I started, in order to get the measurements I joined a plug head to the cable took out the fuse, and turned the switch off.
A few hours later the main box trip, but reset straight away. This happened again the next day but I couldn’t reset it until I took out the fuse less plug.
Any ideas?
Regards
Tony

'The fuse less plug'? Not sure what you mean here. Can you post photos.

Also, why do you have multiple 30A junction boxes?

30 amp JBs, as above by DPG why?

I think they have "tidied" all the extension leads they were using by containing new wiring in mini trunking. Doesn't sound great as 2.5 is oversized for a 13A plug and circular junction boxes don't incorporate cord restraint. I'm guessing they removed the fuse from the plug so it could be plugged in to measure the cable, the RCD tripping was probably the neutral and earth touching.

if the neutral and earth of the flex are touching together they will trip the rcd out even with the fuse removed from the plug . But what you are doing does not sound safe.

Edit
Westward beat me to it :)

I think they have "tidied" all the extension leads they were using by containing new wiring in mini trunking. Doesn't sound great as 2.5 is oversized for a 13A plug and circular junction boxes don't incorporate cord restraint. I'm guessing they removed the fuse from the plug so it could be plugged in to measure the cable, the RCD tripping was probably the neutral and earth touching.
well lets hope they come back to confirm either way fella.

Hi DPGI
In order to get the measurements, I joined a plug head to the cable took out the fuse, turned the switch off. Then plugged it in.
Only 2 Junction boxes, to join the horizontal cable to a vertical for the plug socket boxes.

(I now realise "get measurements" means cable length, I was stuck in the mindset of electrical testing...)

Bottom line - if you can't reset an RCD until you unplug your addition, there is a fault with the plug or the junction boxes.
If there is no fuse in the plug it sounds like it's a single pole switch on the socket and a neutral to earth fault somewhere within your flex or junction boxes..

Irrespective of all of that, it honestly sounds as though there are much better ways to achieve adding sockets with fewer joints and without it all being "plug in".

Hi DPGI
In order to get the measurements, I joined a plug head to the cable took out the fuse, turned the switch off. Then plugged it in.
Only 2 Junction boxes, to join the horizontal cable to a vertical for the plug socket boxes.
(I now realise "get measurements" means cable length, I was stuck in the mindset of electrical testing...)

Bottom line - if you can't reset an RCD until you unplug your addition, there is a fault with the plug or the junction boxes.
If there is no fuse in the plug it sounds like it's a single pole switch on the socket and a neutral to earth fault somewhere within your flex or junction boxes..

Irrespective of all of that, it honestly sounds as though there are much better ways to achieve adding sockets with fewer joints and without it all being "plug in".
My wife has just reminded me that the first time this happened, all that had been done was the ‘fuse less plug head’ inserted and switched off. The cable was unrolled and laying loose across the floor. No joints or sockets had been fitted then, this makes me wonder if the other end of the roll had the earth and neutral close, in the way it was cut? It would explain a lot.

i think you're trying to do yourself some damage....

Plugtops are designed to be used with a fuse.... use it

Plugging things in when the other end is lying bare is a recipe for disaster... thats a lot of faith being put on whether the socket switch works properly or not.

If you can afford to decorate... you can afford to get a professional electrician in beforehand..... There could be an easier way to add sockets that you haven't thought of.

Reply to Strange in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net