Discuss struggling to reset Mains after overload in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Chris
I have a three phase 20amp/phase supply in our place in France, this use to trip regularly due to the water heater being direct into the consumer unit and coming on uncontrolled during the day, not that I think this is your problem.

When ours used to trip due to an overload I was able to switch it back on immediately as have all the others I have worked on, I would suggest there is a fault with the main RCD unit, no other option, but to call them in I am afraid, I also note you are on overnight reduced tariff, do look at the cost, its is far more expensive for the day time rate and can be a wasted cost due to the increase.

My RCD is different to yours, but that is because it is three phase.

Mike

CU.jpg

RCD.jpg

Last edited:
Just noticed the tails are not double insulated where they go into the main supply, this would be a consul failure in my area, as would the split gain above one of the CU's. are the white cables going into the top of the left CU, RV2? i.e. double insulated.

Mike

The main reason its done in France is that the cupboard/unit (GTL) that the CU goes into in modern installations also have the telephone, TV, broadband and ethernet connections in, which require a plugged outlet for testing, all very high tech and modern and no use at all for a heritage building that does not require the GTL installation in retrospect, you would not believe the amount of TV and telephone outlets required for a normal residential installation, in a way it makes sense, but increases the cost of installation beyond what the UK would consider a fair and reasonable quotation.

The one thing not done in France is the use of Glands on the end of conduit/gain they just stuff the end of the plastic gain into any box that its supplying, I can't do that and insist on using glands it does raise a few eyebrows and some of the inspectors ask where they came from.

Part complete installation in the loft.

Junction box.jpg

Mike

Last edited:
Just had another thought on the OP's problem, the Disjoncteur defferentiel selectif supplied and installed by EDF, is in fact two devise's inside one case an RCD to protect the building/personnel and a circuit breaker to cut off the supply if you try to draw over your allocated maximum tariff, (standing charge) this is how it has been explained to me, having never had one apart I can't confirm this, but seems to make sense considering what happens with these units, which often go wrong and trip for no reason.

Mike

Another thought, what you could do is put an RCD of your own between the EDF RCD/CB and your CU of a lower value so that trips before the EDF unit, that at least will prove where the problem is.

Hope that helps
Mike

And yet another thought, I wonder if this type of Disjoncteur defferentiel selectif has a latching relay inside it, so will not switch back on without a load?

"this is what I cant understand.
if my consumer unit is isolated from the incoming by me turning off the mains in the consumer then I should expect that nothing my side of the supply rcd can be affecting things. but I have never managed to get it back on with the Mains turned off. Today I got it back on by having the mains turned on and just one breaker for lights turned on.
any help would be appreciated enormously."
chris

Reply to struggling to reset Mains after overload in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net